Going away on vacation

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, New York
My family is planning a one-week vacation for this upcoming July, and I was wondering what others do to care for their tortoises while away.

I personally feel that one week away would be too long for the tortoise to be alone. Does anyone know of any nurseries or babysitting facilities in the New York area?

Or does anyone have any other advice on what I should do if I do plan to go away? I’ve dealt with this in the past with a dog, but obviously caring for a tortoise is much more complex than a dog and I would never put that responsibility on any of my family members

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need to find someone you can trust to come over once a day and do the water and food. Lights and heat should be on timers and thermostats.

You can also set up an internet camera so you can check on your tortoise remotely wherever you are.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually, putting it on a family member or friend is what you should do. Pay them so much a day to come and feed and water or if you have an enclosure that can be moved easily bring it too their house.
What you do is make sure heat and lights are on a timer or thermostat, so all that has too be done is fresh water and food daily. Make it as easily as possible for the caretaker. Even portioning out their food for each day. Personally, they are the easiest of most animals to care for.
Otherwise check your reptile vets to see if they do boarding. Also some of the inhome dog and cat care companies will do reptiles too.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
My uncle lives next door, so I can bring his whole set up there if I have to with directions. I agree maintaining food and water is really simple to keep up with. Would missing a week of soaks be a big issue? I soak him every day and sometimes twice a day.

I don’t really trust any of the vet facilities in my area (I live in the Bronx). If I had to find a boarding facility, I’d probably look for one in another county. Thank you for the advice!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
We’ve done this with our Sully a few times. Everything, lights and heat, are on timers and operate without any changes. We have a trustworthy pet loving neighbor who checked on our Sully daily, fresh water, bowl of greens and mazuri, and all was well. She enjoyed coming over, even spent time just socializing with our Sully.

I wouldn’t relocate things to another location. Get everything set up on timers. Get an extra bulb, or replace bulbs right before you leave. (That’s easiest), but have another spare on hand.

As far as soaking, missing one week of soaks in the grand scheme of a torts life can’t be bad. Soak well before you depart, and when you get back.

• Btw, what kind of tort? How old?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I
My family is planning a one-week vacation for this upcoming July, and I was wondering what others do to care for their tortoises while away.

I personally feel that one week away would be too long for the tortoise to be alone. Does anyone know of any nurseries or babysitting facilities in the New York area?

Or does anyone have any other advice on what I should do if I do plan to go away? I’ve dealt with this in the past with a dog, but obviously caring for a tortoise is much more complex than a dog and I would never put that responsibility on any of my family members

I wouldn't leave my tortoise(s) alone with no caretaker for a week. There are too many things which could happen. Power might go off and screw up the heat and light cycles, tortoise may tip over and not be able to right itself, it may start choking on something, etc.

If your uncle lives next door, why not just have him come over a few times before you go away and watch what you do for the tortoise so he is relatively familiar with the routine? Is there a reason you don't want your uncle to do that for you?

How about doing the same with a friend that you trust if you don't want your uncle to do it or he cannot do so for some reason?

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
My uncle is gentile and trustworthy. I wouldn’t let my friends watch over my tortoise (he’s a one-year-old Hermann) because they are a ways away from me and they all have other pets (Dogs, pigs and cats).

I have everything set up already on timers so I don’t need to worry about that. I’m a fairly strict tortoise keeper so I’ve always had all of that set up.

My uncle leaves early in the morning for work, which would be a good thing cause my tortoise is already accustomed to my early morning routine.

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
You need to find someone you can trust to come over once a day and do the water and food. Lights and heat should be on timers and thermostats.

You can also set up an internet camera so you can check on your tortoise remotely wherever you are.

I forgot to ask, but do you have any recommendations for any internet cameras. I've always thought about getting one and maybe now it's a good time to start doing research. I'll most likely be going out of the country, so I'm not sure how that might work out in terms of connection

Rhea

Missouri
I just did this and I had my parents come over twice a day for a week. I also have a rooster and a hen. Plus an old indoor/outdoor cat. I boarded my shih-tzu and other cat. They are not tort people. They have 2 high maintenance yorkies! They were so afraid they’d find Rolo flipped over. I believe they stopped by randomly to check on her. I think I frightened them about keeping her temps and humidity right! They soaked her and made sure she had fresh food. I worried a little but my parents had it under control!

stephkesh

Florida
I have a few cats, as well as my Russian. My cats are no problem: clean the litter box and put out bowls of food and water. But I usually bribe my neighbors to watch my Russian every day.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I

I wouldn't leave my tortoise(s) alone with no caretaker for a week. There are too many things which could happen. Power might go off and screw up the heat and light cycles, tortoise may tip over and not be able to right itself, it may start choking on something, etc.

If your uncle lives next door, why not just have him come over a few times before you go away and watch what you do for the tortoise so he is relatively familiar with the routine? Is there a reason you don't want your uncle to do that for you?

How about doing the same with a friend that you trust if you don't want your uncle to do it or he cannot do so for some reason?
Zovick your tort is gorgeous!