1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Going on vacation, but I can't bring my tortoise with me.

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by latiat1234, Jul 21, 2017.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. latiat1234

latiat1234 New Member

I'll have a vacation next week. I'd be gone for 7 days, I'm a bit worried about my tortoise. His enclosure is outdoor, but I'm the one who brings him food. Is any kind of staple that lasts long for a whole week for tortoises ? I have my father, but sometimes he forgets. I don't want to be a neglectful owner, anyone have any ideas ? :(
  2. MPRC

MPRC Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Oregon
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    What kind of tortoise? Does it eat hay/dry grass? Can you plant some things in the yard for the week like those organic lettuces that come with the roots still on them?
  3. latiat1234

latiat1234 New Member

Here's a pic of her enclosure, she's an Elongated, she does have a pond for water in her enclosure (Not shown in pic). Thing is, I don't know if anything might grow in the enclosure. Much of the dirt has been used by the tree roots (So far she doesn't eat any of the leaves). I never tried to feed her dry hay. What about cactus pads ?

Attached Files:

the Turtle Shepherd likes this.
  4. MPRC

MPRC Well-Known Member

Oregon
    Cactus pads last a while outside, especially if you put them somewhere shady. IF elongateds can have bell pepper I've had them last a few days in the shade. It wont kill her to not have food for a few days, but I know how people worry.
    the Turtle Shepherd likes this.
  5. the Turtle Shepherd

the Turtle Shepherd Active Member

nowhere
    she looks tiny:) so adorable:) cactus pads are the best idea I ever heard:) leave water in case it gets hot:) I have mentioned this before: I wish it was mandatory to have location posted automatically, where do you live? is it hot or cold, what are her eating habits in general, we know nothing:) cactus pads - do not cut them, they are really perfect, smart one:)
  6. latiat1234

latiat1234 New Member

Yea, she's a little cutie isn't she :D

I live in Asia. Usually it's warm/hot here, temperature at night usually reach 25 C (77 F) in this kind of season, 32 C in mid day (89.6 F), although for most day we'd get pouring rain, she loves it, she'd walk around and look for food whenever it's raining. She eats everything that is vegetable, fruits or just green, some mushrooms also.