Vacation tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
What do you do with your tortoise when you go away for the weekend?
or for a longer vacation?

Do you have any recommendations on special care?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I have a good friend take care of them. With my hatchling, she will go with me:) If you are only going to be gone a weekend and you have everything on timers, then you can feed them real good and make sure they have water. They will be fine for a couple days but is best if someone can check on them.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I took them with me for the weekend as it was a Reunion and all my pet carekeepers were with me. I have trained my family how to care for my torts. I have actually caught my nephew misting down the outdoor enclosure when I was late coming home and he thought it was too dry for them. Kudos to him...

My vet boards exotics, but it is pretty pricey and if you have a large tort, that might be hard to transport.

HappyTortoise

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks. She is only about 4 inches long so I think they would take her but we are only going for a weekend. 3 full days. I didnt know if they were good travelers or not??

I have a friend that will watch the dogs, cats and tortoise when I go back to NY for a week but I didnt know how important it was to have them checked on everyday....

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Have family or Close Friend CHECK on them, For food and water

HappyTortoise

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
The problem is that we are new residence in New Mexico. We dont know anyone and are from NY, so our family is their...

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Tortoises are reptiles... very forgiving. As long as it has water it can go for weeks without food... provided it has good weight to begin with.

The Galap and Aldab was used as a source of food for Whalers. They collected and stored these animials for many months because they would stay alive and fresh (I know... too much info)

Soak your tortoise before you leave... leave a water dish... soak it when you get back... You can safely do 2 weeks easily.

HappyTortoise said:
What do you do with your tortoise when you go away for the weekend?
or for a longer vacation?

Do you have any recommendations on special care?

HappyTortoise

5 Year Member
Albuquerque, NM
Thank you so much. Everyone is so nice here. I just want to be a great tortoise family. I have always loved turtles and tortoises. I love that so many people on here have multiple tortoises....I hope that someday I will be like that too. Thank you everyone for your information, its nice to be a part of a forum that truly cares about each other and is willing to help. I am open to any tips or guidance that anyone can give....

Status
Not open for further replies.