Glass enclosure or Wood?

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gran Pulse
I currently have a wooden enclosure made. However, I saw this reptile enclosure that is glass with a wooden frame. It's beautiful. Are glass tanks that awful for a tortoise?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
No they are not awful, havent we been over this once or twice before:D
Just kidding ( I had to ) It depends on alot of different things

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
bigred said:

I looked this up on the forum and couldn't find one post regarding this. ;) I am sure I missed a million post about it but I needed to ask.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Vishnu2 said:
bigred said:

I looked this up on the forum and couldn't find one post regarding this. ;) I am sure I missed a million post about it but I needed to ask.

I was just messing around, I prefer to use them for smaller torts such as hatchlings. I was just on craigslist looking around for a glass aquarium. You can get pretty good size aquariums ,,,,such as 100 to 150 gallon aquariums for about 100 to 150 dollars

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
bigred said:
Vishnu2 said:
bigred said:

I was just messing around, I prefer to use them for smaller torts such as hatchlings. I was just on craigslist looking around for a glass aquarium. You can get pretty good size aquariums ,,,,such as 100 to 150 gallon aquariums for about 100 to 150

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I like the glass tanks for hatchlings because you can see the animal better. So if I were to make my own, it would have large windows if not entire sides that are clear. I have not had an animal that had issues with the glass/clear sides once they got use to it.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Both are fine I think. IMO wood is more insulating. But, glass holds the humidity better. So it's a trade off I guess.

Fredandwilma

5 Year Member
Glass is not good for torts. They don't understand the concept of glass and get frustrated so wood is better for them

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Fredandwilma said:
Glass is not good for torts. They don't understand the concept of glass and get frustrated so wood is better for them

My tort has never tried walking through glass. I think that glass may confuse some torts but not all. You can always add some barrier at (tort) eye level if your tort doesn't get it.

Capri

5 Year Member
Im not sure if this will help or every petco is doing this right now but the one in Manchester, NH is currently having their $1 per gallon sale. Just bought a tank for more than half of the normal price for my Red Eared Slider

DaveTheLeo

My personal experience with this leads me to think wood is better, my tortoise seemed to walk into the glass alot making banging noises ( drove me mad) , the glass heats up too fast imo , i have a large wooden one that i built cost me a tenner to make and its quite large, for me the temperature seems easier to control and my tortoise seems more content this is all just my personal opinion

milkandsam

5 Year Member
My tortoise is fine with glass. At the beginning he would try to walk into it, so I taped paper to the bottom of the tank and then took the papers away one by one and he hasn't had an issue since!

kball

My personal experience with this leads me to think wood is better, my tortoise seemed to walk into the glass alot making banging noises ( drove me mad) , the glass heats up too fast imo , i have a large wooden one that i built cost me a tenner to make and its quite large, for me the temperature seems easier to control and my tortoise seems more content this is all just my personal opinion

Now that's a good point my sulcata is in a glass enclosure (I'm working on a tort table) and he drives me crazy trying to get through the glass.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I used glass enclosures for babies. Modified aquariums to make closed chambers where the heat and humidity could be better controlled. I did put sight barriers at (tortoise) eye level and never once had a problem with my tortoise running into the glass. The best enclosures, indoor enclosures that is, that I have seen are a combination of wood and glass to make a closed chamber. I take that back. The absolute best are made of molded plastic, but these are way more expensive than I would like to spend. A sulcata for example, will out grow a 55 gallon aquarium in about 6 - 8 months. So their usefulness is short lived. Here are some examples of good closed chamber type enclosure that are inexpensive and yet very functional.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

yillt

I use wood. I think glass would work but my tort is crazy and would probably barge right through.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Once my tortoises are big enough to graduate, they go outside, but while they're small and indoors, I much prefer the large plastic tubs.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I have a plexiglass front on several wooden habitats. Lighter than glass and easier to build with. I put large house plants in front so the crew feels screened, but I can see and enjoy them.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i use a mix of both glass and wood and i love my enclosure that's a old photo it looks a little different now

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 59

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Either is fine. Both can work well.

Many of us have used glass tanks for decades. They are actually GOOD for the very reasons their critics think they are bad. I find that amusing for some reason. :)