Gifts for our babies

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Knobs of KY
Hey everyone!
I know it has been a while since I have been on here (last year in college is CRAZY!) Anyhow, I have been trying to think of great gifts to get my sully, Méraddyn for Christmas. Since we regard Méraddyn as one of our children-it is a must that there are gifts that she/he can 'open' on Christmas morning :)

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, since the tortoise has absolutely no idea about 'gifts,' you should give them something that makes YOU happy. Some small improvement to their habitat or the way you take care of them? A new piece of 'furniture' inside the habitat to make it more interesting for the tortoise?

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
Yvonne G said:
Well, since the tortoise has absolutely no idea about 'gifts,' you should give them something that makes YOU happy. Some small improvement to their habitat or the way you take care of them? A new piece of 'furniture' inside the habitat to make it more interesting for the tortoise?

I hadn't thought of that :) Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What I do for Christmas it try to find something new to feed them. It's getting harder and harder to locate some green or fruit that has not been eaten in this house before. :D

Depending on how old the lights are, perhaps a new UVB light?

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
Jacqui said:
What I do for Christmas it try to find something new to feed them. It's getting harder and harder to locate some green or fruit that has not been eaten in this house before. :D

Depending on how old the lights are, perhaps a new UVB light?

Finding new noms is very difficult! I am constantly on the search-LOL

As for the UVB light-it is not too old (maybe 2 months?) But I do need to replace the nighttime heat bulb :) Thanks for the reminder :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Some folks will get "toys" for their tortoises. Something like a red or yellow ball. Big enough not to swallow and hard enough not to be able to bite off chunks. For my big sulcata boys they have a bowling ball. :D

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
Jacqui said:
Some folks will get "toys" for their tortoises. Something like a red or yellow ball. Big enough not to swallow and hard enough not to be able to bite off chunks. For my big sulcata boys they have a bowling ball. :D

Oooh! That is a neat idea! I think I will definitely try that :D

smylemaker

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Tortoise_costume.jpgyou could always buy a lovely Christmas sweater for it <3 :p w

Last edited by a moderator:

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
smylemaker said:
you could always buy a lovely Christmas sweater for it <3 :p w

That is absolutely adorable!!! Where would I get one of those? And are they machine washable or hand wash only? (My Méraddyn likes to get dirty ;) )

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
How much are those? I would want a shark one but how much was the one you have?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
MoireErin said:
smylemaker said:
you could always buy a lovely Christmas sweater for it <3 :p w

That is absolutely adorable!!! Where would I get one of those? And are they machine washable or hand wash only? (My Méraddyn likes to get dirty ;) )

Go to etsy.com and search "tortoise cozy" they should pop up and they have really adorable ones like a hamburger taco . I would only put it on your tortoise when grazing outside and roaming around your house so it doesn't get as dirty and it will keep them warm since their not under their heat lamp :p :D

tortoise5643 said:
How much are those? I would want a shark one but how much was the one you have?

Go to etsy.com and search "tortoise cozy" they should pop up and they have really adorable ones like a hamburger taco . I would only put it on your tortoise when grazing outside and roaming around your house so it doesn't get as dirty and it will keep them warm since their not under their heat lamp :p they have shark ones too :D

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Wow those are so great looking and even keep your tortoise warm. Now if they would also make tortoise mittens and boots I could take my tortoise skiing with me. :D

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: RE: Gifts for our babies

Ashley_Sheldon said:
Go to etsy.com and search "tortoise cozy" they should pop up and they have really adorable ones like a hamburger taco . I would only put it on your tortoise when grazing outside and roaming around your house so it doesn't get as dirty and it will keep them warm since their not under their heat lamp :p

while these are adorable, these do not keep cold blooded animals warm. reptiles do not generate any heat for the sweater to keep in like you do. they get all their heat from other sources. it would only be effective to retain heat from a light for a very short period of time but honestly it's only for looks. please do not keep your tortoise warm with these, it is doing nothing but probably making your tortoise extremely uncomfortable.

stinax182

5 Year Member
i do not mean to bash these, they are adorable and someone made a good point about using them to locate your tort while roaming.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
stinax182 said:
Ashley_Sheldon said:
Go to etsy.com and search "tortoise cozy" they should pop up and they have really adorable ones like a hamburger taco . I would only put it on your tortoise when grazing outside and roaming around your house so it doesn't get as dirty and it will keep them warm since their not under their heat lamp :p

while these are adorable, these do not keep cold blooded animals warm. reptiles do not generate any heat for the sweater to keep in like you do. they get all their heat from other sources. it would only be effective to retain heat from a light for a very short period of time but honestly it's only for looks. please do not keep your tortoise warm with these, it is doing nothing but probably making your tortoise extremely uncomfortable.

I know that cold blooded means that heat gives them energy , I was just playing around . Anyways . Those under a heat lamp could be a fire hazard so I would only suggest using it for outside grazing time or indoor house playtime

stinax182

5 Year Member
it's hard to understand sarcasm online sometimes :p I'm not the best at it apparently. it's just i saw someone on instagram actually depending on one of these to heat her baby sulcata at night when added heat was needed....i just want to bake sure everyones' tortoise is warm :)