Sprucing Up Vex...

PharSytid

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale Arizona
IMG_0399.JPG IMG_0330.JPG Seasons Greetings e1-
Looking for suggestions on how I can safely spruce up my special Sulcata Vex; he's my little hatchling that has some issues with abnormal shell shape and a rounded belly. Well, ol' Vex's undercarriage is quite dirty and his normal soakings do not loosen up the gredue plastered on his tum tum. Normally, we're not too persnickety over every tiny crack and crevice; however, Vex needs to look his best on Christmas Day because he will be meeting a lot of very important people that day- the men and women at our Veterans facility here in Phoenix, the heroes who ensured my freedom to take my beloved pets with me and make miniature Santa hats for my tortoise to wear. As you can see, it is very important for Vex to look his best to meet our Veterans just as they gave their best to all of us serving our country.
I thought maybe a soft infant toothbrush and a mild mix of either DAWN or baby shampoo but I am not 100% sure if it is 150%safe to use on him. So, here we are asking our friends here for ideas and suggestions.
For those not familiar with Vex, I've included pics with this post. Yes, Vex will be in full dress Santa hat when we go to the VA!
Thank you in advance for your replies.
Human(F) & Vex
PS- if there are others like me who are estranged from their adult children and therefore will not be able to see their grandchildren during the holidays nor have any presents to unwrap and if anyone is going through similar situations like this, then you probably aren't looking forward to this time of year- I wasn't either until I realized that without a doubt, there are Veterans in my city who will not be with 'family ' and no gifts to open and instead of reclusive loneliness on Christmas, Vex and I are going to take the 150 candy canes that we tied yellow ribbons to and spend the day with some very special people to let them know they will NEVER be forgotten and hopefully Vex wearing his Santa hat will make them smile! I resented the holidays up until two days ago when I figured out how to embrace them!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi!
Vex is so cute!
I think a baby tooth brush would be fine but I wouldn't use any soaps. A soak and a light scrub outta do it. Torts are very sensitive to all the chemicals found in every day products.
Have fun!

PharSytid

Glendale Arizona
Thank you LalaP.
Guess what? That lil' turd now weighs 43.1 grams! He is consistently gaining weight and growing! And he is such a good sport about his hat. He is a sweet lil guy and his expression truly defines "Bah hum bug".
If you have a minute and don't mind- what do you feel would be the best mode of portable "cage" for him that will keep him safe warm comfy and PR friendly when we go to meet the Veterans? I'm anticipating our outing will be two to three hours. We appreciate your input.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
That's great! So I guess your special food bowl is working if he is growing so much.
So I don't really know the answer to your question... I bet some more experienced members would have better ideas. I guess if it were me I would put him in something small like a shoe box and line the bottom and edges with a towel. My thinking is to keep him from sliding around. With his round little belly I imaging he could go sailing back and forth and that'd be scary for him. Also be sure to keep him warm. Is it warm in your part of Arizona? If it's not you could get some of those disposable hand warmers to put in his box.
Hope that helps. I'm sure he'll be the bell of the ball!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They make a product called Hot Hands. You could get one of those cheapy little covered plastic carrying cases and put a Hot Hands in it under a piece of folded cloth

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Guess I should read before I reply. LaLa and I had the same idea.

PharSytid

Glendale Arizona
Great ideas thank you! The current temperature is seventy something. I will still be sure to keep him warm and stationary while we're out tomorrow. I think I'm going to convert a small plastic bin into a Santa sleigh making the 'toy sack' a warm cushion for him.
( either I need to get a life or I'm just creative, not sure)