Getting worried (New Russian won't eat)

PenguinFan

This Sunday it will be one week since I bought my Russian tort.. he still refuses to eat and he just wants to hide under his log tunnel. . I'm going to buy him the freeze dried food they fed him at Petsmart tomorrow and hopefully he will eat that and perk up. . Any advise please. .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A week really isn't that long. He is still trying to get adjusted. It seems to be harder and take longer on some adults. Has he been drinking? If not, I would start soaking him at least every other day for 20-30 minutes in warm water.
What are your temps, humidity and type of lighting and heating? What kind of substrate, how large is his enclosure? If you do try the food from the pet store, and he does start eating it, then start adding better foods to it and slowly decrease the stuff the pet store was feeding, until mostly better foods are eaten. Good luck and answers to the questions might find a small reason, other then just getting adjusted. Also, this is the time of year they start settling in for winter. Temps need to be kept at summer temps and same with lighting, longer summer lighting.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Can you get him outside for some real sunshine? Is it warm enough where you are for that? I find my red foot perks up with more heat and humidity. Also when I ditched the curly bulbs he came out more. I don't know what you are using and if this is even a problem.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Do you have a basking spot of 95 degrees? They need this to digest food. Other wise your other temps are fine. There have been a lot of post recently about russians slowing down, mine has to. It is the season for it. Keep your lights on at least 12-14 hrs a day and keep offering fresh food. I have been hand feeding mine romaine, which she can not resist, with other weeds wrapped inside. Also keep up on the soaks as mentioned. I have been soaking mine once a day under her basking light for 15-20 mins.

PenguinFan

I can't seem to get my temp above 87°.. I'll put another light on. . And I'll start soaking him more often. . Thank you

M

Maggie Cummings

Don't put another light in, just cover the top. Use a piece of glass or foil or anything. But remember Russians like a temperature drop at night...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Where did you acquire the tortoise from? Pet shop, private party or rescue? Also, if you cover the top--please pay special attention to adjusting the heating until you get good reads for the new set up...when you cover the top the temps can climb....

PenguinFan

I use a uv coil and a red 150w in the daytime and turn them off at night and go with room temperature 70° at night. . Is that alright. . I really do appreciate all the great advice you all are giving. This is are first tort and I want to make sure I'm doing the right things. . I know some people say a 36×18 inclosure is to small but I'm planning on building him a outdoor penthouse in the spring and maybe a summer home in the game room.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I use a uv coil and a red 150w in the daytime and turn them off at night and go with room temperature 70° at night. . Is that alright. . I really do appreciate all the great advice you all are giving. This is are first tort and I want to make sure I'm doing the right things. . I know some people say a 36×18 inclosure is to small but I'm planning on building him a outdoor penthouse in the spring and maybe a summer home in the game room.

I personally would not use the coil shaped bulbs...they can create an issue for the tortoise........so, if your room is 70 at night and if you have any dampness in the enclosure then that dampness will cool the tortoise enclosure even cooler than the 70.....moist and cool is not a good combination....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pet shop Russian tortoises are almost full grown. Your aquarium is way too small for a full grown Russian tortoise. Buy a couple of real large plastic totes, cut out opposing ends and put them together to make one large tote. Even this is probably too small for a full grown Russian tortoise, but it will be better than what you have. And be thinking about a safe and escape-proof outdoor habitat when the weather warms up. They really belong outside.

Re-read the care sheet and tweek and adjust the care you are providing. When the tortoise settles in, he will eat.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I would get rid of coil bulb and the red bulb asap. The coil bulbs have been linked to some eye damage and other health issues which maybe why your not getting him to eat.... The red bulbs I have read cause some issues because of the way tortoises see color spectrums. ( don't quote me on that one but look it up) I highly suggest this bulb:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Gives you heat and uv rays in one.