Getting the Hang of It ....... kind of

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
Frankly speaking I used to. However, after a lot of research I stopped:

a) the floor is not clean
b) a tort could swallow anything dangerous, GOD forbid
c) one could kick/ trod on the tort by mistake, and hurt the poor little creature
d) a tort is so small that he/she could hide somewhere and hurt him/herself

I'd rather the enclosure.;)

Yeah......I agree. We would never let him wander on his own. Just trying to think of something we can use to make "play area" and we would stay right with him for 20 - 30 minutes while he has some extra space to explore a few times a week.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Yum.....we like organic dandelion leaves.....even crawled over to my hand to get them!!!!! :tort::):tort::):tort:

Attachments

• 20160811_174205.jpg
    20160811_174205.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20160811_174207.jpg
    20160811_174207.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 4

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Just found this thread, missjmg19, your tortoise is beautiful and it looks like you are taking great care of him! Good job! And have you tried feeding your tortoise part of an aloe plant? (Don't do it too often or else it gives them the runs). I just discovered that mine goes CRAZY for aloe! I've never tried dandelion leaves for my tort... just because I can't find them!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yeah......I agree. We would never let him wander on his own. Just trying to think of something we can use to make "play area" and we would stay right with him for 20 - 30 minutes while he has some extra space to explore a few times a week.

Large plastic kiddie pools make perfect clean, safe play areas for torts. Kmart , Walmart usually have them on sale this time of the year. Light in weight, about a foot tall, and four feet in diameter. You can add some cut grass, mulch, etc and tort gets lots of safe play area.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Large plastic kiddie pools make perfect clean, safe play areas for torts. Kmart , Walmart usually have them on sale this time of the year. Light in weight, about a foot tall, and four feet in diameter. You can add some cut grass, mulch, etc and tort gets lots of safe play area.

I love this idea and am going to look tomorrow! I can even bag the mulch/bark to use on repeated days since I'd put pool away each night. I notice you live in Maryland, as do I. Does your tortoise live predominantly indoors or outdoors?