Getting the Hang of It ....... kind of

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
Took Twizzler outside at home for first time today and it was a huge success. He wandered around the yard for about 30 minutes and we sort of scooted around on grass staying within a couple feet of him, but giving him space. Only pulled head into shell once or twice. Then, second soaking for 20 minutes, which he didn't protest too much.

Attachments

• 20160811_100933.jpg
    20160811_100933.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20160811_101008.jpg
    20160811_101008.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 20160811_102344.jpg
    20160811_102344.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20160811_103503.jpg
    20160811_103503.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Took Twizzler outside at home for first time today and it was a huge success. He wandered around the yard for about 30 minutes and we sort of scooted around on grass staying within a couple feet of him, but giving him space. Only pulled head into shell once or twice. Then, second soaking for 20 minutes, which he didn't protest too much.
Splendid !
It does all seem to be going very well. :)
i'd deepen the water just a little for the soak myself.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Oh he really is gorgeous! :<3:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Was thinking same thing.......had it deeper yesterday but thought it was too deep. Once we have it figured out best, I'm going to mark line on the tub so we can be consistent!

That is just what I did with Oli.:<3: I'd never had a pet, never dealt with animals until Oli came into my life. :D I had to do a lot of research till I joined the forum.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks.....we think so! It was such fun. Gonna be so sad when we go back to work (me) / school (my son)........ outings will have to be later in day instead of in morning.

Who will be taking care of your cutie? if I may ask.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
That is just what I did with Oli.:<3: I'd never had a pet, never dealt with animals until Oli came into my life. :D I had to do a lot of research till I joined the forum.

This forum is amazing! At first I was a bit intimidated, but everyone is so helpful and I'm learning that each tortoise is a bit different with their own personality. We did lots of research and bought books (one of which is actually an excellent resource). We've always had lots of pets, but this is our first tortoise (currently: 2 cats, 2 crested geckos, fish, hermit crabs, hamster, tortoise).

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Who will be taking care of your cutie? if I may ask.

We will feed him in morning before we leave. I usually come home for lunch so I'll check on him then. Then, we will take him outside around 4:00 when we are both home. We won't soak him every day, but when we do, he will soak while we shower and get ready in the morning. Not sure what we will do come colder weather though..... I guess find a way to let him exercise in the house! Thinking of buying big vinyl table cloth so he can crawl around our family room during the winter when we can't go out to play.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
This forum is amazing! At first I was a bit intimidated, but everyone is so helpful and I'm learning that each tortoise is a bit different with their own personality. We did lots of research and bought books (one of which is actually an excellent resource). We've always had lots of pets, but this is our first tortoise (currently: 2 cats, 2 crested geckos, fish, hermit crabs, hamster, tortoise).

Glad to hear that.:D You must have a lot of room for all those pets.;)

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Glad to hear that.:D You must have a lot of room for all those pets.;)

Well, the cats wander the whole house. The hamster is in 20 gallon tank, hermit crabs in 10 gallon tank. Both of those go back to my classroom when school starts. Fish tank and gecko tank in son's room, along with Twizzler. We are animal lovers and would add more if we truly had room or had yard big enough to fence it in.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
We will feed him in morning before we leave. I usually come home for lunch so I'll check on him then. Then, we will take him outside around 4:00 when we are both home. We won't soak him every day, but when we do, he will soak while we shower and get ready in the morning. Not sure what we will do come colder weather though..... I guess find a way to let him exercise in the house! Thinking of buying big vinyl table cloth so he can crawl around our family room during the winter when we can't go out to play.

Goodness! Don't remind me of Winter. :( It get so COLD here with temperature dropping to ZERO degrees C and even less at times.:( OK, there is central heating system, I put on an electric heater, Oli's :<3: enclosure becomes warm, but still, at times I get the impression that it's not warm enough for a tort.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
Goodness! Don't remind me of Winter. :( It get so COLD here with temperature dropping to ZERO degrees C and even less at times.:( OK, there is central heating system, I put on an electric heater, Oli's :<3: enclosure becomes warm, but still, at times I get the impression that it's not warm enough for a tort.

Not sure where you live but that sounds way too cold for my liking....BRRRR...... What do you do as far as letting him "out" then when it is winter?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Not sure where you live but that sounds way too cold for my liking....BRRRR...... What do you do as far as letting him "out" then when it is winter?

I live in Jordan (the Middle East), where the climate is that of a desert, i.e: HOT Summer and on the other hand, FREEZING Winter with SNOW, and NO Autumn/Spring.:(

Well, during Winter, if and when the sun pops up, and I feel it is warm enough, I take Oli :<3: out for the said "walk." Otherwise, we both get stuck at home, and GOD only knows what a BORE that is. :mad:

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
I live in Jordan (the Middle East), where the climate is that of a desert, i.e: HOT Summer and on the other hand, FREEZING Winter with SNOW, and NO Autumn/Spring.:(

Well, during Winter, if and when the sun pops up, and I feel it is warm enough, I take Oli :<3: out for the said "walk." Otherwise, we both get stuck at home, and GOD only knows what a BORE that is. :mad:

Do you let him walk around house at all? This is the piece I'm trying to figure out. Obviously, we won't just put him down on floor and let him go, but I want idea for something safe to put on floor of a whole room so he have sort of a "play room" to use when it's too cold to go outside.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Do you let him walk around house at all? This is the piece I'm trying to figure out. Obviously, we won't just put him down on floor and let him go, but I want idea for something safe to put on floor of a whole room so he have sort of a "play room" to use when it's too cold to go outside.
The floor is a dangerous place, not only can small objects be swallowed as well as dust bunnies that can cause impaction, tortoises can be trodden on and one had it's head caught in a door.
However, putting down a tarpaulin or something may work if the tortoise is closely watched, but the problem is it is very hard to regulate temperatures, humidity and draughts at floor level.
It is better to have him in his enclosure when it's cold and raining, a standard four foot by eight foot should give him enough space until it gets warm enough to go outside again.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Frankly speaking I used to. However, after a lot of research I stopped:

a) the floor is not clean
b) a tort could swallow anything dangerous, GOD forbid
c) one could kick/ trod on the tort by mistake, and hurt the poor little creature
d) a tort is so small that he/she could hide somewhere and hurt him/herself

I'd rather the enclosure.;)

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
The floor is a dangerous place, not only can small objects be swallowed as well as dust bunnies that can cause impaction, tortoises can be trodden on and one had it's head caught in a door.
However, putting down a tarpaulin or something may work if the tortoise is closely watched, but the problem is it is very hard to regulate temperatures, humidity and draughts at floor level.
It is better to have him in his enclosure when it's cold and raining, a standard four foot by eight foot should give him enough space until it gets warm enough to go outside again.

He will always live in his enclosure. I was just trying to think of an alternative for maybe 30 minutes a day when we cannot go outside to "play." It will likely be too cold here for a good 5-6 months of the year and I would want him to have some more exercise during this time. Trying to think of a way we can sit right there with him for about 30 minutes, let him run around like we did on our lawn today, and then put him back in enclosure. Would never put him on floor or carpet for all the reasons you all have mentioned (sometimes feel like it's even too dangerous for my cats! lol ). Just trying to think of something that would be a safe "surface" so to speak.