Plants and springtails in my enclosure??

Quinnie

Location (City and/or State)
United States
Ok, so I've had Quinn for about 6 months and I've never noticed anything alive except for him ...and three days ago, I looked and there were some springtails..but I've never put springtails in the enclosure? And today I looked and there were growing plants! I have no clue how they got there..I even found one that had just opened and the seed from it 😐 I have never tried bioactive. The soil is just normal non fertilized dirt from home Depot..I'm just assuming that they had some springtails and random plant seeds in the dirt I just bought??? I am hoping it is just that. Any advice? Thanks 👍

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I added some earthworms and pillbugs to my tortoise enclosures and think they do a great job of helping to keep the enclosures clean.

I keep trying plants in my enclosures, but the tortoises trash and/or eat them in short order.

I think both are a good idea as they can provide opportunities for enrichment.

Jamie

Quinnie

United States
I added some earthworms and pillbugs to my tortoise enclosures and think they do a great job of helping to keep the enclosures clean.

I keep trying plants in my enclosures, but the tortoises trash and/or eat them in short order.

I think both are a good idea as they can provide opportunities for enrichment.

Jamie
I agree! I will definitely be leaving the springtails in there but I wasn't sure about the plants since I have no clue what kind of plant it is? It's teeny tiny plant growth 😭 I just don't want it to turn out toxic.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I agree! I will definitely be leaving the springtails in there but I wasn't sure about the plants since I have no clue what kind of plant it is? It's teeny tiny plant growth 😭 I just don't want it to turn out toxic.
I think if unsure, I'd yank it and plant something that you know won't poison your tort.

J

Quinnie

United States
I may end up doing that 🙂 going to wait just a bit since he hasn't really seemed to noticed them yet. Thank you for your help!