Getting a turtle and terrapin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozwin

5 Year Member
I'm going to get a yellow bellied terrapin and a mississippi mud turtle soon :) But some advice on looking after them would be great! The people at the pet shop told me I'd need a dry bit and some deep water for them to swim (they're babies at the moment) They told me that they wouldn't need a heat source nor a UVB light. They would just need to be kept at room temperature, is this appropriate? I have a tortoise and have both the lights required I just thought turtles and terrapins would be quite similar. Adive please :) Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
See...that's the thing about pet stores. They have it partly correct. The babies will need a swimming area plus an area where they can get out of the water completely to dry off. While they are on their dock, they will bask under the light you have provided so that they can increase their body heat in order to digest their food. Its a good idea to not have the water too deep while they are babies. Two or three times their body length is fine. But as they grow, they will need deeper water. Too shallow and they might drown if they accidentally get tipped on their back because the shallow water won't allow them to tip back over. The turtles will be able to get some of the Vit.d from their food, so the UVB light isn't as important for them as it is for a land tortoise.

Yvonne

ozwin

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
See...that's the thing about pet stores. They have it partly correct. The babies will need a swimming area plus an area where they can get out of the water completely to dry off. While they are on their dock, they will bask under the light you have provided so that they can increase their body heat in order to digest their food. Its a good idea to not have the water too deep while they are babies. Two or three times their body length is fine. But as they grow, they will need deeper water. Too shallow and they might drown if they accidentally get tipped on their back because the shallow water won't allow them to tip back over. The turtles will be able to get some of the Vit.d from their food, so the UVB light isn't as important for them as it is for a land tortoise.

Yvonne

Thanks for that advice, I'm glad I found this site to get PROPER help!!!

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
I think pet stores have info to keep animals alive but not to thrive. I wish I could take some of the stuff back that we did at the pet store when my parents had it. I was young but I still feel really bad. I think I make up for it now my rescuing any animal that needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.