Getting a Hermanns Tortoise, I am a newbie, any advice?

Pepperdog

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hey guys, I am Pepper and next week I am getting a Hermanns tortoise. I am getting a baby tortoise, not sure the exact age but still pretty small. I have all the basics, tank, heating lamp, ground cover, hiding place, and a fully covered top to the tank. I was wondering if for people with expierience with Hermanns tortoises, if there is anything else i should have that might be necessary, I know all the care work for a baby, but any helpful objects needed for the tank might be helpful. Thanks!!
-Pepper
Ps. I am 14 and I am a newbie

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Make sure you've read the care sheets!

Be prepared for your tort to hide 90% of the time.

Don't handle the baby much and let it get used to it's new home.

Enjoy your tort and share pictures.

surfergirl

my Hermanns is so outgoing but he is almost 5". we they are little they hide a lot due to how vulnerable they are with predators. My Margie was that way for the first few months but she is getting more and more brave as she nears 80 grams. I think you will be happy with you choice of this species. Follow all the great guides on this forum, Chris L. has great info available on Hermanni Haven website. Welcome and enjoy your new adventure in tortoise keeping! You are at a perfect age to get started in this fun since tortoises live so long.

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
My Mudflap is 10 months old now. He's got the best personality of all my little Torts. I use Coir for substrate and make sure you have a good UVB source. I personally only use Mega-Ray Self-Ballasted UVB lamps for all my Torts, Uromastyx, and Rhino Iguana, but others use other sources.
Also, keep the link to the Tortoise Table handy.
Mega-Ray Source: http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index...ath=65&zenid=d5534a3e781613700e5addcab9a3bc65
Tortoise Table: http://thetortoiMudflap8_24_16a.jpgsetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp

Good luck, I think you'll love your Hermanns! :)