Geoemyda spengleri, worlds easiest hatchling setup?

PA2019

Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, FL
I've become totally hooked on these guys. I am planning on growing up a group of this awesome species when hatchlings become available later in the spring but am having trouble wrapping my head around how ridiculously simple their setups can be during their first year.

Plastic container, 1/2" water (high humidity appears to prevent scute curling), couple pothos clippings/sphagnum moss, small plastic hide, cooler temps (70-76 F), +/- UVB, lower kelvin ambient light, feed 1-2 times/week and most importantly, keep them individually.

I've watched Anthony Pierlioni's TTPG talk last month, ordered his book (arrives in a couple days), watched the video's where Charlie Moorcroft discusses and shows his hatchling setups and researched all the care guides I can find.

Seems like the hard part will be feeding a diverse mix of foods as they can be picky eaters. Anyone on here raised their black-breasted leaf turtles from hatchlings using the above methods? Really excited to hear how others how found success, thanks.

JamesAC

5 Year Member
I didn't see any replies to your post (was here searching the latest on female maturity size/weight) so thought I'd add what I've done.

3 Hatchlings from 2014/15 (from Betsy in OK) all turned out to be female
Deep end or sloped container that barely covers the top of their shell (I used an exoterra with a gardening weedguard bottom)
Long strand sphagnum
Lots of leaves
Hides
With healthy hatchlings they are a pretty easy keep. Just maintain the humidity and, for me in TX at least, low enough temps. Picky eating is definitely a thing in my experience (both imports in the early 90s and today with CB)
They slow down significantly in the winter - to the point that my wife is convinced every year that there is a problem.

I also have two cb (1.1) that I received as adults from someone in the midwest. I paid only shipping - a sort of rescue I suppose. Clearly curled and misshapen carapaces but otherwise very healthy.

You'll love working with these guys!

JamesAC

5 Year Member
I found a photo showing a bit of their youngster setup. I actually had them in my office so I could feed them when they were active during the day (home with me on the weekends). Container, moss, leaves and a couple of hides for easy cleaning. I failed to mention above that I always feed outside their enclosure.

1621983187723.png

PA2019

Gainesville, FL
Thanks for responding and the detailed information! I actually just stumbled onto a 18 month-old that I’ll be getting in several weeks. The turtle is F2 from Betsy line as well. Could you tell me more about what you feed and the tub size you use? I ordered dwarf isopods and springtails and will pickup some worms this week as well. Ive read lots of mealworms can cause impaction and still am learning about the different commercial turtle diets out there.

JamesAC

5 Year Member
They love earthworms which I feed in a container with water. I also feed the hornworms, silkworms and the largest BSF larvae in the container, dry. I've had a hard time with fruit over the years. Pellets are off and on.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
If their set up is not Exactly Right!-TM they are very "picky" and do poorly.

During a rocky acclimation period, I started using a drop of Nutr*cal in warm water to maintain calorie and nutrient status. This caused an (accidental) easy cross-over to Omega One Juvenile Pellets (they're wee pellets for wee turtles) as the nutrient paste contains fish oil and the OO pellets are fish-based. Once s/he scents them in the water - bam!

Our routine is Nightcrawler on Sunday, then 4 pellets Wed, Thurs, Fri.

I'm going to try baby food fruit in the water starting next month to see if I can accidentally give 'em a taste for fruit.

JamesAC

5 Year Member
what are you doing for lighting/heat?
I'm not sure if this was to me or PA2019.

For me, LED planted aquarium "Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus" with RGB. At the end of winter, once they start really stirring, I use a MegaRay 100W positioned so it's about 28c/82f at the moss. The room goes through natural fluctuations from Mar through about Nov most years though this winter we were famously cold in TX. They are also outside (along with A.radiata and T.kleinmanni) in spring and fall when the weather here is appropriate.

I'm sure there are others here with much more success and experience :)

ZenHerper

New Jersey
what are you doing for lighting/heat?
CHE set over one side of moss nursery pan, but thermostated to 78*F at center of mossery.

This monster LED well above entire set up for plants and ambient.

You need whopping high humidity...I keep my mossery like a marsh. They're not rumored to swim, but s/he likes to sit on barely-submerged moss.

IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0265.JPG maple 052621b.JPG