General questions (about his nose)

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello, just wanted to know from sum of the experts and people who have owned sulcatas for a while if this looks normal? My torts nose above the nostrils seems to be really dry and cracked. I have read a lot about nare erosion are a sign of a respiratory infection so I just wanted to make sure that it's just dry skin. Also just want to know if his eyes look okay as I have never owned a tortoise before. He came to me with this black crud on his face I have been soaking everyday and trying to get it off it seems like scales mixed with dirt and grime no luck yet getting it off have tried a toothbrush but he usually retracts his head before I get much done. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and respond with your opinions.20171031_124817.jpg20171031_112349.jpg20171031_112347.jpg20171031_112344.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hard to tell from a picture, but it seems ok to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess I'm not seeing what concerns you. It just looks like a normal sulcata nose to me.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Looks normal to me too.

From time to time your tort will shed skin. They do it in untidy patches. Skin that’s being shed does look dry and flakier than the rest. You don’t need to do anything; it will rub off as your tortoise goes about its business

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Looks normal to me too.

From time to time your tort will shed skin. They do it in untidy patches. Skin that’s being shed does look dry and flakier than the rest. You don’t need to do anything; it will rub off as your tortoise goes about its business
Oh ok, thankyou so much for your help all.

Bass.Isles

Looks totally normal. My Isla gets so very dirty half the time. Like, all over. After I change her substrate she loves to dig around in it. And I can usually get a lot of it off... except for on her head and face. Cuz she retracts her head and i dont want to try to forcefully get it off because I don't want to accidentally push any of the debris (dirt) into her eyes. I attached some pics. This is how crazy dirty she gets for about a week after I change her substrate, before i take a very soft bristed tooth brush to her caripace and plastron lol.20171027_152909.jpg20171027_170503.jpg20171026_172505.jpg20171027_132409.jpg

Bixi

Memphis, Tn
As others have said, looks normal, imo. I have only had my sulcata for 11months, but she can be a bit dry on the face. She also gets dark stains around her mouth from eating softer/moist foods.

If you are worried about respiratory infection, you may notice her blowing bubbles out of her nose, moist nostrils, lethargy, or opening her mouth to breath frequently. That would be a bad sign.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Thanks for your feedback, havent seen any of that yet..and pray I dont.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
This is one of my original post back from November of 2017. I had asked about his nose, because it was really dark and dry looking. Everyone that said it looks normal, and I'm sure it is. Since then it has got increasingly darker, it looks much dryer. And on the sides it looks like it's almost flaking off. I didn't know if this was just normal shedding, or if there is something worse going on. I hope my questions don't sound too silly, doing my best to provide optimal care and learning as I go. I guess I don't really know what a sulcata's nose is supposed to look like. Other peoples pictures that I see of there's, their noses just look far healthier. These are pictures I took today. Thankyou!!! 20180331_110953.jpg20180331_111041_Burst01.jpg20180331_111025.jpg20180331_111022.jpg20180331_111048.jpg

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I see what you mean, but I don't think it looks abnormal IMO. Sheldon is so cute!
Thanks man, I'm probably worrying about nothing. Just seems like it keeps looking worse over time. I keep putting off asking, cuz I didn't want to ask the same question twice and look like a buffoon. But for the sake of argument I figured I better for Sheldon sake. Thank you again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're really concerned, you can dab on a bit of cold pressed coconut oil, rub it in and wipe off the excess. I DO see what concerns you, but I wouldn't be worried about it. Just don't plug up the nostrils with the oil