FREE WEEDS.....(all you can pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Temple City, Ca
I was weeding the garden and was thinking about how much mallow I was throwing away and thought how someone else would love to have this growing in their yard.I would love it somewhere else. Not in the vege garden. I still have to plant my squash this weekend.

gardenweeds2.jpg

gardenweeds1.jpg

I wish it would grow in the tort pen. I had to mow down their enclosure because I kept loosing them in the grass.
tortpenmowed.jpg

So anyone wanting mallow feel free to contact me and you can come help me weed this Sunday. :p It is worth a shot. Most of it pulls with the roots intact. I rototilled real good before I planted the garden.

Dawna

Ok, what no one has a sense of humor tonight or what :(. I hate weeding, so I was taking a break. I have tried to find how I can plant a weed free garden but it never works. And no one ever helps for more than a few minutes. But everyone wants to eat the veges. :D

Dawna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, that darned mallow is so hard to get rid of! It goes to seed almost as soon as the little plantlets push up through the dirt. You have to get it almost immediately, as soon as you see it. The only tortoises on my property that eat it are the Aldabrans. No one else likes it.

I thought your post was pretty funny...guess our resident comedians are not online!

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
The kids love it. They will eat it before anything else. But they can only eat so much. I put them out there last night and they ate some but not enough to notice.

Dawna

Madortoise

5 Year Member
I used to pull them out all the time before we adopted Penelope. She absolutely loves those mallows. She'll pass spring salad for those mallows anytime (but still prefers dandelion and hibiscus flowers, of course). Don't Doris and Maude??? It looks like they could eat them in a week's time...

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Madortoise said:
I used to pull them out all the time before we adopted Penelope. She absolutely loves those mallows. She'll pass spring salad for those mallows anytime (but still prefers dandelion and hibiscus flowers, of course). Don't Doris and Maude??? It looks like they could eat them in a week's time...

Doris and Maude love them but unfortunately they are in the vege garden not the tort pen. I put them in the garden and they ate them for about an hour and then they were done. It was nap and how do I escape from the garden time. I have been tossing a bunch in the tort pen each time I start weeding. If the vege garden was tort escape proof I'd leave them in there all day. Unfortunately it isn't, it is only dog proofed.

Dawna

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
Yeah, that darned mallow is so hard to get rid of! It goes to seed almost as soon as the little plantlets push up through the dirt. You have to get it almost immediately, as soon as you see it. The only tortoises on my property that eat it are the Aldabrans. No one else likes it.

I thought your post was pretty funny...guess our resident comedians are not online!

There is nothing funny about pulling weeds, nothing.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's funny I was reading your thread and saw the picture. My first thought was, "wait those are the plants growing in one of the areas I hadn't yet weeded and trimmed out!". For some reason, just never thought to offer them to anybody. Guess it's kind of a good thing it's been too rainy to finish working the back pens or I would have wasted them! Thanks!

Weeding is not my all time favorite thing, but I also dislike having to do all the hand cutting/trimming of the grasses/weeds in the pens. Currently my hands are cramping and sore from all of it I have been doing. Keep thinking I need to borrow some goats....:p

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Jacqui said:
It's funny I was reading your thread and saw the picture. My first thought was, "wait those are the plants growing in one of the areas I hadn't yet weeded and trimmed out!". For some reason, just never thought to offer them to anybody. Guess it's kind of a good thing it's been too rainy to finish working the back pens or I would have wasted them! Thanks!

Weeding is not my all time favorite thing, but I also dislike having to do all the hand cutting/trimming of the grasses/weeds in the pens. Currently my hands are cramping and sore from all of it I have been doing. Keep thinking I need to borrow some goats....:p

Wow I am glad my weed misery was helpful. :D I gave up on hand cutting the tort pen, so I move the kids elsewhere and then selectively weedeat it, then rake. I kept a few low to the ground weeds and some volunteer lettuce that grew up. They are only maybe 2 inches high so it was wipe out anything over 3 inches and let it start again. I do that maybe 2 times during the year when they are outside full time. I let it go in the winter and then hit it once before they get moved outside.

Dawna

I had time today and made a little more progress. I am half way to planting my squash plants. yeah. looking forward to fresh squash.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Whenever I weed, Penelope comes by to check me out and eat right next to me. It's really funny; she seems to be encouraged by healthy competition.
I bought dog kennel fence that I can configure it in many way and can put it over the area of yard for Penelope to sun-bathe or eat weeds. Might not be a bad investment for you...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
galvinkaos said:
Wow I am glad my weed misery was helpful. :D

I gave up on hand cutting the tort pen, so I move the kids elsewhere and then selectively weedeat it, then rake.

Dawna

The boyz send you their thanks, they enjoyed getting to eat those weeds today. :D

I won't weedeat. First I have this paranoid fear that when the string breaks off, the tortoises will find it and eat it. :rolleyes: Second almost all of my enclosures have mixed groups of adults and even if I gathered up all the adults, I might miss a wild hatched baby. My favorite part about hand cutting the box turtle enclosures is finding hatchlings. Keep dreaming the same thing might happen in other enclosures.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.