Free protein

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I went to my local bait store and asked what do you do with the minnows that die . Guess what they gave me a bag of them . So I took them home and boiled them ,then froze them . That should have killed anything they could of had . You think they would be ok to feed? ?????:huh:

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

mike taylor said:
I went to my local bait store and asked what do you do with the minnows that die . Guess what they gave me a bag of them . So I took them home and boiled them ,then froze them . That should have killed anything they could of had . You think they would be ok to feed? ?????:huh:

35 people and no comments......?????

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
I don't have an answer that is anymore than conjecture, but here's what I got. I would not feed dead bait store minnows because 1) protein is so easy to get, earthworms, Isopods, Mazuri, etc., and 2) there are bacterial endotoxins (such as botulism) that are heat and cold resistant. As I recall dinoflagellates have some similar properties as well. So while you would indeed kill the organism, endotoxins would remain. So no, I wouldn't do it. No hard data, but risk/reward doesn't pan out

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks did not know that lesson learned.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
I can only imagine how terrible the smell of dead, boiling minnows might have been. Blech.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I was thinking on crackers, might be kinda tasty watching football. My football watching friends would think I'd gone all high ball on them. Lol

Cowboy Ken

6 Sulcatas
8 Russians
2 Pancakes
1 Uro
7 Cats
1 Syko Dog
1 Wonderful Wife

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep was not a great smell . But worth the try if it was a relevant food source.

Cowboy_Ken said:
I was thinking on crackers, might be kinda tasty watching football. My football watching friends would think I'd gone all high ball on them. Lol

Cowboy Ken

6 Sulcatas
8 Russians
2 Pancakes
1 Uro
7 Cats
1 Syko Dog
1 Wonderful Wife

I don't know if I could handle that smell so close to my nose.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Years ago I used to buy frozen minnows in bulk from a bait store to feed aquatic turtles. If I remember correctly, I paid a couple bucks per pound. However I think they were frozen while still fresh, not collected some indeterminate time after death. I would be hesitant to feed fish that were potentially allowed several hours to rot before being collected.

Steve

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield, Ma
I agree 100%

turtlesteve said:
Years ago I used to buy frozen minnows in bulk from a bait store to feed aquatic turtles. If I remember correctly, I paid a couple bucks per pound. However I think they were frozen while still fresh, not collected some indeterminate time after death. I would be hesitant to feed fish that were potentially allowed several hours to rot before being collected.

Steve