Free Loaders ……

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
For you that have never seen a Pack Rat here you go. These little free loaders can easily fit through the 1 inch chicken wire that makes up the Duck pen and Chicken coop. But once their mouths are full of the feed meant for OUR birds no way are they fitting through the chicken wire. Reminds me of a monkey and a pickle jar, they just won't spit out all the food in their mouths to be able to escape. FAC1BD7D-E05E-40E2-9C7A-06F698210330.jpegBD55DFAC-5FBC-41C3-B426-8167745CC37A.jpeg8161B313-4029-4912-862F-CF6247D26623.jpeg0711CF99-937F-4978-BA16-0D3F5C106C78.jpeg

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Scratch that these are Kangaroo Rats....... Stupid me. The back legs are what gives it away. Another perfect example of me jumping the gun, sorry.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Are they native? I have roof rats/Norwegian rats here but they are very different

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Too cute. Hopefully you don't have meat eating birdies!🤢 and they'll just share it all.😊

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
REDEMPTION ...........86D7D87E-69C6-4E35-A2BD-F2F180E30963.jpeg35A82603-2261-4632-86C7-B3448A9C6AED.jpegED67C9AD-F10A-42A4-8913-F2E57BDF9362.jpegF33D747A-CA4D-49B7-99D5-66690143CCED.jpeg69B0115B-16ED-480F-BED3-E668ECFC6538.jpeg
I looked so stupid with the previous (Not Pack Rat) pictures that I had to get you some "Real Pack Rat" photos. Here is a mother with 4 young hanging on. She was under an older 70's-80's Suburban roof we have laying in the shop area. And before any one thinks anything bad happened here .........
No animals were harmed in the making of this video. @Tom should get a kick outta that. After a short video I gently placed the roof back down to let her be.

Are they native? I have roof rats/Norwegian rats here but they are very different
Yes they are native here. Funny your screen name. We have a lot of people from LA that own or visit here around us, a very high Armenian population (it is said it is very similar to their "Homeland" I'm told). We here all the time "I found a mouse poop, so dirty ... what do I do." They act as if 1, yes 1 little mouse poop has just destroyed the cleanliness of their home. There are even people that have come to visit and encountered this type of thing and REFUSE to come EVER again no matter what you tell them or do. The Pack Rat is a perfect example of "Why not to use" Rodenticides (poison) due to their behavior. They do not consume the poison but instead store "pack" it somewhere for later or never to be used. Now you have an animal moving poison untold distances (could be acres) to be consumed by something else, then something else since the first one died, and so on and so on. This is how your D Con can end up killing an animal a mile or more from your kitchen (where you saw a mouse poop).

Too cute. Hopefully you don't have meat eating birdies!🤢 and they'll just share it all.😊
The ravens here are thick. You will hear a jet engine noise due to the Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, look up and almost every time see a raven. It's a cool joke to play on new visitors ..Look. I do not know if it's a normal activity but these birds (pterodactyls) are fierce predators afraid of very little.

Do you see the baby that fell off in the last pic?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
REDEMPTION ...........View attachment 368215View attachment 368216View attachment 368217View attachment 368218View attachment 368214
I looked so stupid with the previous (Not Pack Rat) pictures that I had to get you some "Real Pack Rat" photos. Here is a mother with 4 young hanging on. She was under an older 70's-80's Suburban roof we have laying in the shop area. And before any one thinks anything bad happened here .........
No animals were harmed in the making of this video. @Tom should get a kick outta that. After a short video I gently placed the roof back down to let her be.

Yes they are native here. Funny your screen name. We have a lot of people from LA that own or visit here around us, a very high Armenian population (it is said it is very similar to their "Homeland" I'm told). We here all the time "I found a mouse poop, so dirty ... what do I do." They act as if 1, yes 1 little mouse poop has just destroyed the cleanliness of their home. There are even people that have come to visit and encountered this type of thing and REFUSE to come EVER again no matter what you tell them or do. The Pack Rat is a perfect example of "Why not to use" Rodenticides (poison) due to their behavior. They do not consume the poison but instead store "pack" it somewhere for later or never to be used. Now you have an animal moving poison untold distances (could be acres) to be consumed by something else, then something else since the first one died, and so on and so on. This is how your D Con can end up killing an animal a mile or more from your kitchen (where you saw a mouse poop).

The ravens here are thick. You will hear a jet engine noise due to the Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, look up and almost every time see a raven. It's a cool joke to play on new visitors ..Look. I do not know if it's a normal activity but these birds (pterodactyls) are fierce predators afraid of very little.

yeah my backyard has far too many roofrats. I don't use poison - but I also don't use traps. WISH I could have some outdoor cats, but then we have coyotes - so its all a cycle...

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Your coyotes are amazing the roof rats not so much. Your neighborhood coyotes unafraid roaming the streets are so different than ours, afraid of just the thought of a human. You may try a Hav-a-heart trap for the rats. I capture all kinds of rodents with the small one that are nuisance to our home life. A pack rat ate over 2,000 seedlings we started for hedges, as well as other plants we tried to grow.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Your coyotes are amazing the roof rats not so much. Your neighborhood coyotes unafraid roaming the streets are so different than ours, afraid of just the thought of a human. You may try a Hav-a-heart trap for the rats. I capture all kinds of rodents with the small one that are nuisance to our home life. A pack rat ate over 2,000 seedlings we started for hedges, as well as other plants we tried to grow.

When I lived in NorCal if they caught skunks they would re-lease them in the wild areas within 1-2 miles of the house, but no further. Here in LA they do not trap and release, exceptions being (to my knowledge) those who do wildlife rehab (ie: baby squirrel falls from my tree, Pacific Wildlife will raise it and release it in Griffith park). In NorCal i had big issues with skunks coming into my yard and getting caught under the deck of the house I was renting. I did NOT want them killed, so it was a real issue.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
REDEMPTION ...........View attachment 368215View attachment 368216View attachment 368217View attachment 368218View attachment 368214

Yes they are all really cute in the pics. It's nice when people help them have habitat.