Sulcata enclosure ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmb85

5 Year Member
Hi! I was given two male sulcata adults recently and my dogs are too hyper with them so I cannot allow them to roam freely in the yard at this point. Maybe when they get used to them things will be different, who knows. I bought some fence posts and wrapped some PVC chicken "wire" (it's plastic chicken wire basically) around it and made a large circle for them to roam around in and graze on the lawn. They keep walking in circles and are trying to get out of it and I think will some time they will probably get through the plastic. Does any one have any NON EXPENSIVE ideas that I can try out? I am thinking about replacing the plastic with actual chicken wire but I am worried the chicken wire will hurt them if they keep getting their feet/nails caught in the holes. The enclosure will need to be at least 3 feet tall in order to keep the dogs from getting in... I have a dog run that is very large and is composed of a block wall and cement floor that I could keep them in but I don't know if being on cement all the time is ok for them?? Thanks...

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Hi, if you plan on keeping your sulcatas I would sugguest a little more perment enclosure. Like cinder blocks or something that is a visual barrier like cinderblocks. The plastic chicken wire that you have will stand no chance to an adult sulcata, they need a visual barrier where they cant see that the grass is greener on the other side, I would not let them roam in the chicken wire area alone or you will come back out and be missing your torts! cinder blocks are about 1.20-1.60 a piece depending where you live. deff worth the investment!

Katmb85

5 Year Member
SulcataSquirt said:
Hi, if you plan on keeping your sulcatas I would sugguest a little more perment enclosure. Like cinder blocks or something that is a visual barrier like cinderblocks. The plastic chicken wire that you have will stand no chance to an adult sulcata, they need a visual barrier where they cant see that the grass is greener on the other side, I would not let them roam in the chicken wire area alone or you will come back out and be missing your torts! cinder blocks are about 1.20-1.60 a piece depending where you live. deff worth the investment!

Thanks! Would I just stack the cinderblocks?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You can also get some cheap wood fence panels and attach them to the fence post. It will give them a visual barrier and you can use the post you already have. I get the fence panels from Home Depot from 1.25 - 1.45 each depending on the type of wood I decide to use..

Katmb85

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
You can also get some cheap wood fence panels and attach them to the fence post. It will give them a visual barrier and you can use the post you already have. I get the fence panels from Home Depot from 1.25 - 1.45 each depending on the type of wood I decide to use..

That is also a great idea! I will look into that today!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
This is a small section that we have done using the smaller fence panels stacked 3 high. When we move into a more permanit house, we will use better wood but this works for now.

IMG00327-20110729-1442-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kat:

You can stack cinderblocks, two high, in the shape you want, then pound some T-posts in the middle of one every so often, then re-attach your plastic chicken wire to the T-posts starting on the top of the top cinder block. That will keep the dogs out, and will get the mesh up above the tortoises.

Katmb85

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Kat:

You can stack cinderblocks, two high, in the shape you want, then pound some T-posts in the middle of one every so often, then re-attach your plastic chicken wire to the T-posts starting on the top of the top cinder block. That will keep the dogs out, and will get the mesh up above the tortoises.

I think this is what I will do for now! Thanks everyone!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
whatever you do... NEVER trust your dogs with them...
Solid fencing is a must.. 1 x12 boards or cinder blocks..
depending how big they are... some can push blocks right over. you want to stagger them, not stack on top of one another.. like bricks,, or fill with dirt.. support them somehow..

arby2774

5 Year Member
The Berkshires of Massachusetts
Railroad ties are impregnated with creasote which is toxic. Since my experience with sulcatas is that they will munch on almost anything I would not use anything chemically treated.

Status
Not open for further replies.