1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

CA Desert Tortoises

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosures' started by Cndlou0309, Jun 8, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Cndlou0309

Cndlou0309 Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Pasadena CA
    Hi All!
    New to Tortoises. I have adopted (2) 45 yo torts.
    They have always free ranged. They are free ranging in my yard.
    I’d like to get a suitable shelter ready for them. I’d like them to be used to it before they actually need it in the colder months.
    We live in Pasadena, CA. Nice weather for the most part. Can get below 30 on occasion during winter mos, w no snow.
    Any ideas for a diy shelter?
    I have chickens who sleep inside of a wooden coop w a dirt floor.
    I have another chicken coop, an Eglu Omlet. It is a wire enclosure w a house in the back, which has a raised floor.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated
    Ty!
    View attachment 274168 View attachment 274169

IMG_4099.jpg
    Gijoux likes this.
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    First step is to separate them. Tortoises should never live in pairs. Even if they have survived together in previous years, they might not get along now in a new territory, and the chronic stress of living together might be enough to make them sick when combined with the stress of being removed from their previous territory and put into this new territory.

Then you can build a heated night box. They don't need much night heat, but it might be good to extend fall and get going earlier in spring with keeping the night temps more reasonable for them since they are above ground. Here is an example, but I'd only set the temp to 60-65, and unplug it entirely in the summer: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

There is a lot of old outdated incorrect care info for this species circulating around on the web. Yes, this is an actual desert species, but they still need water and benefit from it. The two biggest killers of DTs are the family dog and dehydration related maladies.

I typed this up for sulcatas, so less grass for a DT, but the food list is still good. I have an overabundance of spineless opuntia cactus, so if you want to drive to Santa Clarita, I'd be happy to give you a whole bunch for free. Some for planting and some for feeding out.
    Cndlou0309 likes this.
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    My desert tortoises are also free range. There is a big mulberry tree at one end of their yard and that's where I built their shelter - it's in deep shade in summer and I use all the leaves that fell from the tree in fall to cover the shelter in winter.

desert tortoise yard 4-19-18.jpg Desert Tortoise Shelter 4-5-14.jpg Desert Tortoise Shelter 4-5-14 b.jpg

Because I didn't want them digging a burrow inside the shelter, I first put down masonry caps to cover the floor area (rectangular stepping stones). Then I used cinderblocks to make walls. I only went two-high. The top is covered with a sheet of plywood, then palm fronds, then, in winter, all the leaves I can rake up from the yard. I block the door once they're all hibernation, and continue to cover with leaves. There is no additional heating. They cool down in the fall preparing for hibernation, and that's normal and natural. When the weather starts to cool they stop eating. All the leaves help insulate the shelter to keep them from freezing.
  4. Blake m

Blake m Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Escalon, California
    Hello and welcome! I am glad that you found the forum to search for this information. The cinder blocks are definitely good for building an area, and you can move them! The advice above is great. Desert tortoises are one of my other favorite species.
    Cndlou0309 likes this.
  5. Cndlou0309

Cndlou0309 Member

Pasadena CA
    Hey Tom!

Thank you for the advice! Beautiful shelter for your guys! Unfortunately, I am not so talented... I will more likely go w the cinderblock house w plywood top.

I would love some of your cacti! My kids live in Castaic, so no problem stopping by to see you! In fact, we have 2 huge beautiful Mulberry Trees in the front yard... I’d be happy to bring you some if you like!!

Can we exchange phone numbers?

Thank you!
    Cindy
  6. Cndlou0309

Cndlou0309 Member

Pasadena CA
    Hi there!
    Thank you!!
    Yes, I’m so happy to have found this site!!!
    Toms house is amazing! I think I will be doing the cinderblock house due to my lack of carpentry skills! Lol!!
  7. Cndlou0309

Cndlou0309 Member

Pasadena CA
    Hi Yvonne!
    Thank you for the idea!
    I am going to grab some cinderblock & get it going right away! I also have access to tons of Mulberry leaves!
    Loved your pix!
    My yard has a nice shady area under a fig tree, next to a fence where I think it will fit perfectly!! We don’t get too cold out here so I think it will be a great spot!
    Hey, I have that Eglu Omlet house... it might work. It has insulated sides & roof. It has a floor. It has a door that can close up tight. I wonder if I could just use it... what do u think? There’s a pic of it on this thread.
  8. Maggie T

Maggie T Member

Los Angeles
    I love Tom’s set up but don’t have his skills. This is more doable for me. Thank you for sharing
    Cndlou0309 likes this.