Found Tortoise?

courtsta

Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Hello. My friend found this little guy in her backyard today. She dug up her yard for an inground pool so he cannot go back to where he came from... We do not know what kind of tortoise(turtle?) it is. Please look and identify. If he is the type that needs to be released back into the wild, we will do so... But, if he is a pet, I will look for the owner and if not, I would like to keep him. I am an animal lover and would only want him to be where it will flourish. Please help provide information. I live in Louisiana.
10464404_744652315597607_3581108321740210596_n.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a three-toe box turtle. They are probably native to Louisiana. Can your friend put the turtle outside the back yard fence? Or is this in a populated area. Reason I ask is because box turtles are territorial and if you move it away, it will try to get back.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In that case, it's probably an escaped pet. Put up fliers on utility poles in the neighborhood advertising 'found turtle.' Craigs list lost and found is free, as are the 'found' classified ads for in the newspapers.

Because it may be a lost pet, don't release it. If you can't find the owner and you don't want it, try to find a turtle rescue to give it to.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If you put up fliers, DON'T put a picture. Just say you found a Box turtle, and if anyone calls let them describe it. Looks like an older three toed.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hey, courtsta- what part of Louisiana are you in? We live in Covington, just across the lake from New Orleans!

And Yvonne is right: 3-toed box turtles are native to Louisiana.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's a female 3 toed. I'm from Houma Louisiana. Just because it was found in a populated area doesn't mean it's someone's beloved pet. The amount of captured box turtles that quickly escape is probably more than we can imagine.
A friend of my son found a 3legged 3toed that was injured by a tractor and they wanted to care for it. Even though I explained exactly how to build a simply safe enclosure they overlooked one corner and the turtle escaped within days. I'm sure this happens frequently .

I would still put some effort into finding a potential previous owner but odds are it's another random box turtle living on the run. They can do quite well even in rural environments if they find a good garden to set up shop in. Especially females since they don't travel for mates like a male might.

Good luck with what ever you decide. We are here for advice if you decide to keep her.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
3toeds are not native in metarie. The closest they are found is 30plus miles away so this is a turtle that was taken from some other part of the state and likely escaped.

Bighungry83

5 Year Member
I live right beside you in River Ridge and have 8 3toeds. They are not uncommon at all around the city.

Bighungry83

5 Year Member
They were brought in as pets years ago and set free in and around parks and neighborhoods and now they live wild here. Well... Wildish. Ha

turtlelou

5 Year Member
They were brought in as pets years ago and set free in and around parks and neighborhoods and now they live wild here. Well... Wildish. Ha

Wow! Mystery solved :). That's really kind of cool. I know it should not be done but what a neat thing for children to see. We had them in parks as kids too.