Found in area - is this an Eastern Box Turtle

VlastaRichter

Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, PA
Hi guys!
Is anybody able to identify what type of turtle/tortoise this is?
I think it’s an Eastern Box Turtle, am I right?
This little guys was posted as found in the nearby city, just roaming the streets. This guy who found him said he looked out of place there, and thinks it’s someone’s pet. He can’t keep him for too long and plans to release him.
I think he should contact local fish and wildlife if it is an eastern box turtle?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 56816F76-CB06-42D7-88B8-17DBAD46CF2E.jpeg
    56816F76-CB06-42D7-88B8-17DBAD46CF2E.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 13

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G
If its native to the area when you do get it ID then if it was found outside then it should be put back where it was found in a safe area.
It is a box turtle for sure. Not sure if eastern, although does look like one but see what others say. I'm not good with IDing turtles.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hi guys!
This little guys was posted as found in the nearby city, just roaming the streets. This guy who found him said he looked out of place there, and thinks it’s someone’s pet. He can’t keep him for too long and plans to release him.
I think he should contact local fish and wildlife if it is an eastern box turtle?
Thanks!
It's a female Eastern. They're local to your state. He should release her in a wooded area where she was. Usually when you see them on roads and such, they're crossing to lay eggs.

VlastaRichter

Georgetown, PA
It's a female Eastern. They're local to your state. He should release her in a wooded area where she was. Usually when you see them on roads and such, they're crossing to lay eggs.
The guy who found her said it looked very out of place, and said he literally found her on a street in his town. He said there is not much of a forest anywhere nearby. I’m thinking that maybe somebody else picked it up in a forest and decided to keep it as a pet, then it maybe became too much and they decided to release it back out there. I recommended him to call local fish and wildlife and ask for assistance. He wants me to take it but given the circumstances that it’s a wild tort and I JUST tragically lost my own Hermann tortie of 17 years, I’m trying to come up for a solution for him. I certainly don’t want, should not and have any desire to keep a wild turtle as a pet.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
that is an adult turtle , she has been around for probably at least 15yrs , if not more ..... they survive that long due to habits they have aquired along the way , in their territory ( a couple acres) , she shouldn't have been "out of place"..she didn't get to her age getting out of place ....... if someone got her and released her where your friend found her , and where she belongs is not known .... relocated turtles don't do real well ........ i've dealt with wildlife guys , most of them don't know much about turtles ......... she'd have a better shot with a wildlife rehabber , some of them may have a clue ...... i can tell you over the years some folks around me have probably found a couple out of place box turtles that were not "wild" ......

VlastaRichter

Georgetown, PA
that is an adult turtle , she has been around for probably at least 15yrs , if not more ..... they survive that long due to habits they have aquired along the way , in their territory ( a couple acres) , she shouldn't have been "out of place"..she didn't get to her age getting out of place ....... if someone got her and released her where your friend found her , and where she belongs is not known .... relocated turtles don't do real well ........ i've dealt with wildlife guys , most of them don't know much about turtles ......... she'd have a better shot with a wildlife rehabber , some of them may have a clue ...... i can tell you over the years some folks around me have probably found a couple out of place box turtles that were not "wild" ......
The person who found this box turtle contacted me through a local lost and found animal Facebook page, after I posted a thread about my own Hermann’s tortie who escaped.
Apparently, because I posted my tortie pic, I may know all things turtles or might even want that box turtle he found (sigh). He is asking me to keep it, because he doesn’t know what to do with it so here I am trying to find what’s gonna be best for that poor turtle. Fish and wildlife was my first idea, but now hearing you saying that they might not really know, I’ll suggest to him to contact a wildlife rehabilitation facility. I just don’t want him to release this poor thing just randomly anywhere, because that’s what he said he was gonna do if he didn’t find an “owner” :(

VlastaRichter

Georgetown, PA
Needs to go to rehab. Should not be released. Where was it found?
Good suggestion! That’s what I was thinking, just please, don’t release it. Regarding your the location, please read my reply to Mark1.
The guy who found it, claims it was roaming around the streets of the town he lives.

SarahJoy

Augusta georgia
Good suggestion! That’s what I was thinking, just please, don’t release it. Regarding your the location, please read my reply to Mark1.
The guy who found it, claims it was roaming around the streets of the town he lives.
I'm confused; it was found in PA?

Dawn'sTooToo

North Carolina
Hi guys!
Thanks