Found a desert tortoise in the backyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
Hello! I'm in southern California and recently found a turtle in my backyard! It looks like a desert box turtle (light brown with red eyes. about 10 inches long), but without any expertise, I'm not sure if this is the desert tortoise. (Is the desert tortoise another name for desert box turtles? )

He seems to have a few different homes/shelters in our backyard, from which I could tell he has been living in my backyard for a long time. I just didn't notice him when I moved in a few months ago because I didn't go out to my backyard that often back then. This house has been empty for several months before we moved in, so I have no idea where he came from.

I never saw him eating any grass or fruits but I often see him eating snails in the garden. He also likes soaking his feet in a small bowl with water.

So, I wonder if anyone can give me any advice on the questions I have - I will appreciate any tips/info!
My questions are:
1) If this is a desert box turtle, do I need a permit (for desert tortoise) to keep him?
2) Is it possible to get a permit for a desert turtle living in the backyard?
3) Is there any chance the permit not being issued?

Forgot to add the photos. These are the photos of him. Is this a desert turtle? Can anyone tell how old he might be?

sunshade

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Thanks! I hope there is no issue getting any permit if I need one. He is so adorable!

Yes, the two images look different but it's the same turtle. The close-up shot was taken when he was wet - I was watering the garden and he accidentally took a good shower. . . He is normally very dry with light brown color, so I can't see any clear pattern on his shell as shown in that close-up shot.

Here is another photo of him attacking a snail...

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
He looks more like a three toed to me ... very cute! He is definitely not a desert tortoise - definitely a box turtle. You do not need a permit to keep him. Where in So Cal are you?

sunshade

5 Year Member
Southern CA
kimber_lee_314 said:
He looks more like a three toed to me ... very cute! He is definitely not a desert tortoise - definitely a box turtle. You do not need a permit to keep him. Where in So Cal are you?

I'm in Riverside county.

Is it a desert box turtle then? At first I thought it was a three toed, but after I saw some pictures of desert box turtle in the Internet, it looks like one of those desert box turtles, too...

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
it jus looks like a box turtle to me with a little bit of age on him,i know its not a desert tortoise,i wouldnt think that a permit would be required to keep him.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I don't believe those are native to So CAL so from my understanding you can keep him. Have you checked w/ neighbors to see if they are missing a pet?

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Looking at the colors of his shell and on his neck and legs, I would say a 3 toed box turtle.

Good looking guy. What a cool find.

Put out a couple sliced strawberries and some banana and see how he acts!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Welcome! I'm right on the cusp of LA and San Bernardino County - so we're practically neighbors! :)

I'm going to stick with three toed box turtle ... the head shape and colors look like one to me. They are not indigenous to this area, and you can keep them in your yard with no problem. You might want to check out Tess Cook's site on how to best care for him. He will need a pan of water at all times ready for him to soak in. Thanks for taking care of him!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if I were you I would post a sign in the neighborhood saying lost turtle and only lost turtle please call to ID, if you put what type it is to many people will call saying it is theirs trying to get a free turtle. As said before a box turtle does not require any type of permit in CA and you can have as many as you want ( as your local laws allow) Welcome to the forum and enjoy your house bonus you found, and snails are a favorite of boxies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sunshade:

I think its a gulf coast box turtle. It is someone's escaped pet, as they're not native to California. (and it would be illegal for you to turn him loose)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yes, I think Yvonne is right ... a gulf coast box turtle - not a three toed after all. (I'm not very good at identifying turtles. :()

efciv

10 Year Member!
Calimesa, CA
Can you ask the past owner of the property? Did they leave something behind when they moved?

sunshade

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Dear all,
Thank you so much for your advice. All of your replies are so helpful. There are so many different types of box turtles, and I was quite confused between desert box turtle and three toed turtle. Now, as Yvonne and kimber_lee suggested, it does look more like a gulf coast turtle - especially for its size, which is larger than other box turtles. Now, it's time to learn more about the gulf coast turtle and find what I can do for him!! Thank you all! :)

kimber_lee_314 said:
Welcome! I'm right on the cusp of LA and San Bernardino County - so we're practically neighbors! :)

I'm going to stick with three toed box turtle ... the head shape and colors look like one to me. They are not indigenous to this area, and you can keep them in your yard with no problem. You might want to check out Tess Cook's site on how to best care for him. He will need a pan of water at all times ready for him to soak in. Thanks for taking care of him!

I know where that is! We ARE neighbors! :)

Thanks for the tips. I find Tess Cook's site very helpful!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think you need to remeasure it, there's no way it's 10" maybe 6 or 7"? I'd also guess gulf coast.

sunshade

5 Year Member
Southern CA
yagyujubei said:
I think you need to remeasure it, there's no way it's 10" maybe 6 or 7"? I'd also guess gulf coast.

You are right. The length of the shell is between 6 and 7. :)

franeich

5 Year Member
It was probably hibernating when they moved. I would guess it probably recently woke up thats why you haven't seen it before. If you don't want it I would call the old owners. They may have wanted to take it with them but could not find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.