found tortoise in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracieturtlefinder

5 Year Member
IMG_0914.jpgIMG_0910.jpg
Hi there,
I love the pics. Can you please tell me what kind I have found? It showed up on my porch last night, I live in San Antonio, TX where it was 102 degrees yesterday.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

tracieturtlefinder

5 Year Member
RE: Pics of My RF's Eating

Thanks...
That would make sense huh? Do you know anything about them? Should I just leave him alone?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado

tracieturtlefinder said:
Thanks...
That would make sense huh? Do you know anything about them? Should I just leave him alone?

Depends on where you live. If you live in a nice, rural area, then leave him alone because he lives in good tortoise habitat. If he stumbled onto your place while wandering through an urban area, then he really lucked out because now you can care for him. But if you have other tortoises - whether of different species or the same species - just make sure you quarantine him, because wild tortoises carry a lot of parasites.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL

I do not know much about texas torts but if it is a texas tortoise you should find out the local laws because i have heard that since their numbers in the wild are declining rapidly that they are protected. You should definitly find out.

The scales on the heads do vary greatly amond RF's. I have noticed that the scales on the heads of a few of mine do look exactly like that of YFs but that is why you cannot tell the difference between the two species based only upon that detail.

All of my adults were purchased as adults so I did not raise them. Of the seven that i own, only two of them are WC. The two WC's have been in captivity since they were juvies but still their shells are amazingly smooth. They will prove to be great breeders! :D

tracieturtlefinder

5 Year Member

jrcrist4 said:
I do not know much about texas torts but if it is a texas tortoise you should find out the local laws because i have heard that since their numbers in the wild are declining rapidly that they are protected. You should definitly find out.

The scales on the heads do vary greatly amond RF's. I have noticed that the scales on the heads of a few of mine do look exactly like that of YFs but that is why you cannot tell the difference between the two species based only upon that detail.

All of my adults were purchased as adults so I did not raise them. Of the seven that i own, only two of them are WC. The two WC's have been in captivity since they were juvies but still their shells are amazingly smooth. They will prove to be great breeders! :D

Thanks so much for the great info..during my research I did see that the Texas tort is on the endangered list..i will contact the authorities in my area and go from there... I have already fell in love though :)

GeoTerraTestudo said:
tracieturtlefinder said:
Thanks...

Depends on where you live. If you live in a nice, rural area, then leave him alone because he lives in good tortoise habitat. If he stumbled onto your place while wandering through an urban area, then he really lucked out because now you can care for him. But if you have other tortoises - whether of different species or the same species - just make sure you quarantine him, because wild tortoises carry a lot of parasites.

Thank you, i don't have any torts..never have...I will do my best to care for it. :)

tracieturtlefinder

5 Year Member

jrcrist4 said:

Wow, you are so lucky..all your babies are beautiful. I did contact the wildlife rescue here and I do have a Texas Tort. He is a protected species and I would be fined if I were to be found in possssion of him. I will be taking him to their San Antonio location and they will release him into a safe enviroment. I will miss him:(

Status
Not open for further replies.