Found Sulcata Tortoise

Jbaker2713

image.jpg image.jpg Hi! I am new here, so this is my first time posting. Yesterday, I found a sulcata tortoise walking across the road. The people who had moved him across the road had no clue what he was and were about to go put him in a pond thinking that he came from there. I finally convinced them that he really is not a water turtle, and most definitely not a native species, and was most likely someone's escaped pet. He is about a foot and half long and a foot wide, pretty big guy. I have posted signs around the area but so far have had no luck finding his owner. So my question is, any suggestions on some good temporary housing while I try to find his home? I have several box turtles, but I am new to Sulcatas. I have done some research on them in the past, but whatever suggestions you may have on how to keep him comfortable for the time being would be appreciated! I have attached a few photos of him. It's really hard to see how big he truly is, the picture really doesn't show his size well! Thanks in advance!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Out side in a grass area. Inside if your temp get below 80... there is a lost and found section on this forum. You may want to post there, he looks like someone took care of him.

Gabriel Mattei

5 Year Member
Thailand
@Jbaker2713
Hey and welcome to the forum!!!
What I would personally do would go to the vet ask them if they can keep it until you find the owner or another house for him, maybe you could keep him it's great fun, just do a lot research. Meanwhile keep adding signs because tortoises have a tendency to just keep on walking when they escape.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can keep him outside in a pesticide and fertilizer free area. If you could make him a temp hide box to lock him in at night to sleep that would be good, or maybe lock him in a shed or garage for nights. He can be outside in temps as low as 70 even lower if he has a place to warm upto over 85 like a basking light. If you don't have the means to keep him, if the owners are not found, then look for a tortoise rescue in your area or adopt him out on this forum and he would get a good home.

Jbaker2713

Thanks for all the tips! I found him in Montgomery, Texas, literally just walking across the road. I am definitely going to be putting up more signs. I'm hoping whoever owns him has just not seen the ones I put up yet.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
People are so funny.. Sulcata in a pond. At least their heart was in the right place.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Also ask around the neighbouring vets and animal rescue centres.
People sometimes visit these to inquire when they've lost what could be a loved pet.