Found hatchling in North Carolina

Debbie2662

Last December my son was using a leaf blower and he found a very small box turtle and we have been caring for him for over a year. He always seemed to eat fine. I was told to feed him meal worms and eventually give fruits and veggies. He always ate the meal worms without any problem until recently. He will go after them and when he finally gets one he has trouble holding on to it and when he finally gets it in his mouth it seems that he can't swallow it. I'm very concerned on what is going on and I don't know how long he can go on like this. I feel so bad watching him trying to eat but just can't. I posted this under health but did not received any replies yet so I'm hoping someone will see this and steer me in the right direction. I've tried fruits, veggies and turtle food which he doesn't touch. Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So the turtle has been eating nothing but meal worms for a year?

Any UV or calcium supplements?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Post pictures of him . He may need to have his beak trimmed.

Debbie2662

I will post pictures of him tomorrow and yes only meal worms. He wouldn't eat anything else that I gave him and that is what I was told to feed him when I first got him. The reptile "expert" at my local pet store said to introduce fruits and veggies as he gets older. I have a heat lamp and UVB which are both on for about 12 hours during the day. How do you trim a beak?

M

Maggie Cummings

Toenail clippers, a bit at a time.
He needs nightcrawlers, crickets, bugs, cantaloupe, berries, much fruit. A much varied diet. Please hang around and let us help you. How about some pix of him and his seup.....?

Debbie2662

The problem is he can't swallow his food. If in fact it is his beak I don't even know how to go about that, he is so small. Please let me know what you think.turtle.JPG turtle1.JPG turtle2.JPG .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Debbie, and welcome to the Forum!

Your baby is starting to grow a deformed shell from his diet and no sunshine. It's not too late to make a change, but it's hard to get them eating right once they've gotten used to eating the wrong stuff.

Here's a good article to start you out:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-wont-eat.42397/

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can make your baby's habitat a lot more interesting too. I'd get a plastic tub quite a bit bigger than that aquarium. I'm talking about floor space bigger, not tall sides bigger. Then take a look through our indoor habitat section and get some ideas. Here's a few to start you off:

babyboxiepen.jpg

younggalboutdoorpen2010.jpg

rbt18_20.JPG

Debbie2662

I will read the article and make necessary changes but what do I currently do now about my immediate problem which is he seems that he can't get the food in his mouth. It might be his beak but I don't know how to fix that. He goes after the worm but keeps dropping it once he has a hold on it. Last night he had a small worm completely in his mouth but never swallowed it. Any help now would be appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might try feeding him in his water.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Can you look in its mouth to see if something is stuck in there? I think a trip to the vet may be in order. Beyond the care changes you need to make and soaking the turtle, getting a good look inside the mouth/throat seems like your only course of action here.

Debbie2662

I tried that and he has the same problem. I feel so bad for him because I know he is hungry but just can't eat,

Debbie2662

I use Eco Earth substrate which is compressed coconut fiber, Is this ok? It seems that it gets stuck in his mouth when eating so what else can I use?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I use Eco Earth substrate which is compressed coconut fiber, Is this ok? It seems that it gets stuck in his mouth when eating so what else can I use?

Many people use eco earth successfully although I have heard complaints about those fibers. Are you feeding directly on the substrate? You'll have better luck feeding on a large piece of slate. Can you see if there is currently substrate stuck in the mouth?

Debbie2662

There doesn't seem to be anything stuck in his mouth, like I said before it might be his beak but I'm afraid to file it. Can someone tell me if it's his beak by looking at the above pics. What other substrate does everyone use?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cut the worm up . Put a part of the worm on a skewer and hold it for him . You can add worms and greens in small pieces . It will work with time .