forest hingeback help

colinc

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, USA
I keep my forest hingeback in a wood enclosure. humidity about 75 percent and temp around 80. He will only eat fruits and spends most of his time hiding. Any tips would be helpful. He was given to me as an unexpected gift but i want to make sure im on the right track.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! i know nothing about hingebacks but some times the cause of a tort hiding all the time if if it to hot or cold in the cage. what are the cage temps? when type of light are you using? is its a coil bulb? posting pics of the enclosure will help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Collin, and welcome to the Forum!

@Jacqui and @tortadise are two members who spring to mind that keep hingebacks. We'll give them a shout out and get their help for you.

colinc

Pennsylvania, USA
welcome to the forum! i know nothing about hingebacks but some times the cause of a tort hiding all the time if if it to hot or cold in the cage. what are the cage temps? when type of light are you using? is its a coil bulb? posting pics of the enclosure will help.
I keep his enclosure around 80 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity around 70 percent. For right now I'm using a 200 Watt heat bulb. I ordered a 100 Watt ceramic heat emitter to replace the bulb.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. Well there quite reclusive and favor hiding. Spots. They live in lower canopy rain forests in Western Africa. Always being found near streams and small tropical broadleaf plants. Fruits, carrion, fungi and insects comprise of there diet. So add some worms. They do prefer a morning and afternoon mist(simulated rain) in the wild and in captivity. I'd try a mush of worms mixed with some fleshy fruit like papaya, dragon fruit, mango, pawpaw, bananas, apple, and mix in some greens and mushrooms. They aren't exposed to massive amounts of UVB or light exposure so the more hides the better. Mid 80s with low 70s at night is perfect with relative humidity rather high. This time of year is great for them as you can add leaves to the substrate and they will burrow and chameleon in, which they like too.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
The only thing I would adjust about Kelly's post is that those temperatures are more for the standard Ghanan erosa. Some, of other localities, prefer much cooler temps-you want to keep it below 80 pretty much. Post pics and we cold have a go at the origin.
Also, to expand the rainforest idea, definitely plant up the enclosure. Also, offer plenty of rocks as they like to hide between them

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do we know if this is an erosa or a homes? How bright are the lights?

colinc

Pennsylvania, USA
It's an Erosa. Ive gotten a fogger to help with humidity levels and he has made a complete turnaround. He's so much more active and his personality is truly coming out. He's eaten well since I got him and luckily continues to do so. I've also picked up a ceramic heat emitter to possibly replace the heat bulb I'm currently using do to that I've been told they don't care for bright lights. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated! The temp in his box currently stay between average 75 degrees Fahrenheit at night to 82 degrees Fahrenheit during the day.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
They're not generally fans of bright light, you're right about that. Temps could be fine, but may need warmer or colder-as I said, erosa vary in temperatures a lot by range.
I have to say, despite the lack of a nuchal scute, the hinge looks like homeana, due to the 'knob' on the back. Could you take a pic side on please?