Forest Hingeback tortoise on local craigslist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferinFL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Around Daytona Beach, FL
http://orlando.craigslist.org/pet/1811949650.html
I've already contacted the owner and am thinking about getting it.
Does that look like a forest hingeback?

I hadn't really thought of getting one of those, but, at least it looks like they share some similarities with the care of redfoots..
It looks like right now it's being kept in an aquarium with red bark from the photo, at least it has a soak dish but it looks like it's being kept too bright, but maybe that's just camera flash.
I contacted the seller to see if it was actively eating, and he said that she's eating strawberries, bananas, tomatoes and oranges with occasional earth worms and that she's pretty active.

Are forest hingebacks called by a different name? I didn't find much when I searched the forum for that.
I want to make sure I find a good care sheet to read through first..
Thanks!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
It looks like a Homes but can't be sure without seeing a side view. I haven't found a good care sheet on these guys but care is similar to a redfoot. The diet is soft fruits (I'd lose the tomato and orange), animal protein (worms are good as well as other invertebrates such as snails and insects), mushrooms, and try to get it eating greens (they will).

JenniferinFL

5 Year Member
Around Daytona Beach, FL
Itort said:
It looks like a Homes but can't be sure without seeing a side view. I haven't found a good care sheet on these guys but care is similar to a redfoot. The diet is soft fruits (I'd lose the tomato and orange), animal protein (worms are good as well as other invertebrates such as snails and insects), mushrooms, and try to get it eating greens (they will).

I thought the tomato and orange probably wasn't good..
Alright, cool then, I'll probably go take a look at it when I get a chance. I'm really hoping I'm officially off bed-rest after tomorrows DR appointment so I can set up the enclosure myself instead of shouting commands at hubby.. lol

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree with Larry, it is most likely a Home's Hingeback (Kinixys homeana) and care is very similar to a Redfoot. This biggest difference is that Hingebacks prefer it a little cooler than Redfoots. Mine are happiest in the low 70's.

Status
Not open for further replies.