?? for anyone

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Back-story;

Years ago(20 or so) like many Dads, I took my family to Disney. We rented a townhouse in Kissimmee for the trip. The day we got there, I went for a walk and brought back "home" a large Tortoise. I don't know what kind is was but it was black, with a high back and was around 20" long and I remember this part well, he was heavy..........because I had to carry him several hundred yards to get back home....he weighed around 25-30lbs. I was in pretty good shape back then from playing ball well into my 30's but man he got HEAVY after nearly a 1/4 mile.

Anyway, we kept him for the day, letting him roam the lower floor.....till he laid down a brown turd, the length of the hallway to wit "wife#1" said "OUT"....and I abided.....I knew that look, and knew to never argue with a woman who has that look in her eyes. So, I bundled him up in a large towel, hopped in the Minivan and took him back home and let him go.

I never know what kind he was and at the time, it really didn't matter. I know he was way too large to be a Gopher and his color was pretty uniform...and very dark. His feet were tough, like backhoe shovels and my guess was that he was 20-30 years old but that was just a guess based on his appearance.

Any ideas of what kind he was?

jeff

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A tortoise or turtle or Box turtle?
I believe there is only one native tortoise to FL
I'm not in FL. Will be interesting to see the guesses. To bad you didn't get a picture.

TurtzInMyYard

AL
Back-story;

Years ago(20 or so) like many Dads, I took my family to Disney. We rented a townhouse in Kissimmee for the trip. The day we got there, I went for a walk and brought back "home" a large Tortoise. I don't know what kind is was but it was black, with a high back and was around 20" long and I remember this part well, he was heavy..........because I had to carry him several hundred yards to get back home....he weighed around 25-30lbs. I was in pretty good shape back then from playing ball well into my 30's but man he got HEAVY after nearly a 1/4 mile.

Anyway, we kept him for the day, letting him roam the lower floor.....till he laid down a brown turd, the length of the hallway to wit "wife#1" said "OUT"....and I abided.....I knew that look, and knew to never argue with a woman who has that look in her eyes. So, I bundled him up in a large towel, hopped in the Minivan and took him back home and let him go.

I never know what kind he was and at the time, it really didn't matter. I know he was way too large to be a Gopher and his color was pretty uniform...and very dark. His feet were tough, like backhoe shovels and my guess was that he was 20-30 years old but that was just a guess based on his appearance.

jeff
Sorry, Jeff. I can't offer an answer...but oh, if only this question could have been posted in the CDR -- I could offer a humorous response. On the other hand, it could get me put in turtle jail, and since I'm new here, I don't know anyone well enough to ask for bail:confused:

Welcome to The Burrow. Cheers!

TisMary

New York
Great story @jeff kushner! ? Do you think it was a native or an invasive species? I browsed Invasive.org for invasive (d'uh!) reptiles in Florida and they list African spurred tortoise (Geochelone sulcata). The Florida Invasive Partnership lists this plus the Leopard tortoise (G. pardalis). You might look at pictures of these 2 species - maybe you'll recognize your defecating friend. ?

Far as I know, the Gopher Tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus) is the only tortoise native to FL (fun fact: it's the
Florida State Tortoise! I didn't know that was a thing!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first thought was a young, escaped Aldabra.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Had to be a gopher tortoise. A quick internet search lists the record at 33 pounds and 17" I feel like I have seen them larger than that. I had a friend call once and said there was a sea turtle in the front yard of his new house. It turned out to be a really, really big gopher tortoise.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m guessing Gopher Tortoise as well. Since that was a long time ago, I’m sure some of the finer details get lost. Probably not as heavy or long. Carrying even a 15 lb tort for a long distance is trying.

I guess we’ll never know. But a good story!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Back-story;

jeff
At that size and coloration, it was most likely NOT a Florida Gopher Tortoise. I would think it may more likely have been an escaped non-native captive tortoise. My three top choices for the tortoise you described would be: Aldabra Tortoise, Galapagos Tortoise, and Burmese Black Mountain Tortoise, all of which are bred in FL by several different people, so finding an escapee is quite possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At that size and coloration, it was most likely NOT a Florida Gopher Tortoise. I would think it may more likely have been an escaped non-native captive tortoise. My three top choices for the tortoise you described would be: Aldabra Tortoise, Galapagos Tortoise, and Burmese Black Mountain Tortoise, all of which are bred in FL by several different people, so finding an escapee is quite possible.
YES!!! For their size, the Manouria tortoises are VERY good climbers. I'm changing my guess from aldabra to Manouria!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I just had to google "Manouria "

Generally yes but they have fairly flat backs.....but yes, a very definite possibility.

FYI- got a call out to wife#1 for pics from that vacation. I think that one may exist........I've got a bunch of CD's filled with family pics that I"ll have to review.

It would be kind of neat to solve the riddle after all these years....

This link.......caught my eye....