Robber caught trying to steal my tortoises !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
wellington said:
Always, always, always call the police for anything that is against the law, big or small. You never know. There may have been others in your area with stuff missing. You had a witness to who it was. He could be guilty of way more then just trespassing onto your property. Also, besides it is never too late to call them, they are working 24/7 but it is never too late in days either to file a report. Okay, you can't wait too long to file a report, but a few days isn't too late. Just to get it on file, which they will do and is their job!

Excellent advice!

megs123456

5 Year Member
That is awful!! Do you know and recognize him?? Does he live in your area?? Good thing your brother was there!!

ulkal

5 Year Member
Sh3wulf said:
I'm very glad to hear your torts were not harmed, and that you are not in the business of harming other living creatures even if they are moronic humans trying to thief your pets. I don't believe for a second that shooting a gun serves any purpose other than to escalate a situation. And the possible outcome could have substantial consequences for so many people. Lets not forget this is a 15 year old child. Yes he is acting like a moron, but who wasn't at 15? Some more so than others.
I do agree with a number of people that a discussion with his parents should take place, but it needs to be constructive. This CHILD needs guidance.
If someone came and told me one of my kids had done something like that he or she would spend the next 15 weekends doing nothing but chores around your house and learning everything there is to know about proper pet care. With your consent of course. Punishment should t be without a lesson and this child could possibly learn that stealing one of your babies could have resulted in its death. Possibly he could be taught to respect the very unique animals that tortoises are and even become an advocate.
Anyway that's just my thoughts. In the end I'm just glad the torts are ok.

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

I could not agree more. Its a 15 year old kid, which is nothing to be shot at, injured, or in anyway marked for life by some instant involvement of the police for attempting to steal a tortoise.
Theft is wrong and so is a lack of consideration for the well being of other living beings.
Hopefully the parents have enough influence on the child.
Glad your tortoises are okay.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I'm with Wellington all the way on this. Call the police. No need to have waited. Get a report on file ASAP. Otherwise you are effectively granting permission for the kid to return, camera or no, by taking no action & causing no consequences.

Many 15 year olds feel that until they turn 16 they are untouchable and can break laws with impunity. Some experienced thieves use them as partners because of that.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
johnsonnboswell said:
I'm with Wellington all the way on this. Call the police. No need to have waited. Get a report on file ASAP. Otherwise you are effectively granting permission for the kid to return, camera or no, by taking no action & causing no consequences.

Many 15 year olds feel that until they turn 16 they are untouchable and can break laws with impunity. Some experienced thieves use them as partners because of that.

Absolute agreement.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Woow if there is ever a next time I'm not going to hesitate I'm gonna call the police right way ! Thanks for the advise

ulkal

5 Year Member
Did you talk to the parents yet?
Hopefully there is no next time.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
OMG I would be soooooooooo mad too.. That little kid WILL be back again. So make sure you get a security system ASAP. Those poor little tortoises didn't do anything and this little kid was going to take one. HOW RUDE. Gosh ppl these days. At least you still have them all.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
No I didn't talk to the parents or call the police and I really regret it , I learn my lesson :/ I should of done it not only to teach the kid a lesson but to prevent future problems but if I have any problems in the future I'm going to call the police right away I promise !!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
guille24 said:
No I didn't talk to the parents or call the police and I really regret it , I learn my lesson :/ I should of done it not only to teach the kid a lesson but to prevent future problems but if I have any problems in the future I'm going to call the police right away I promise !!!

I'd call them anyway.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Yes thank god the kid didn't took any of my tortoises I really do my best for them and I want the best for them they are like my little kids lol

I'm going to talk to my friend on Monday he's a cop we take self defense classes together maybe he can do the report and give some advise on what to do about this problem

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Terry Allan Hall said:
guille24 said:

I'd call them anyway.
I have to agree 110% with Terry.
No way I would let something of this nature slide..

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Guille24, I do agree. If you don't want to address this directly with the parents you should make a report of the incident. There's no harm to the child in having a cop show up and tell his parents what he attempted to do

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Yes u are totally right , yesterday my neighbor came over to talk to my mom and told my mom she saw my brother chasing "a" guy and yelling at him she said she never thought my brother had such a dirty mouth lol because he's always quiet she also said she thought my brother was gonna kill the kid lol when my mom told me I couldn't stop laughing, by the way my brother never told us what he did he just said he was chasing the guy lol

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
LOL now that is funny. Well at least ALL your tortoises are safe and sound.
But I do agree you should make a report ASAP do NOT let this slide. Because if he did it once he will do it AGAIN..... So don't let it happen again be on the safe side so if 1 or 2 or all are missing you know where to go.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Terry is right, you should still call the police anyways. The kid might be going into several backyards and maybe several houses. The cops might be waiting for that one tip that will solve a whole bunch of thefts around your area. I would go to the kids house and knock on the door. As far as someone getting hurt while they are in your backyard. They are there to rob you,,,,,, its really ok if the end up hurt. As far as lawyers and the justice system, I have a little experience with this and Im not saying this is right but if you have they money you can buy justice. Ive seen this often

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
I'm talking to my friend tomorrow he's a cop I'll let you guys know what happen

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Jd3 said:
CourtneyG said:
What state do you live in? Because in Alabama you can shoot him, he had intent to harm your family and property.

Worst advice I've ever seen given. Your understanding of castle doctrine is terrible.

http://www.usacarry.com/alabama_stand_your_ground_castle_doctrine_law.html

You can defend yourself or a person and it is not worded that someone in your yard stealing a tortoise is a reason to shoot someone...

You will get the death penalty if shoot someone who is trying to steal something from your yard. This is not a reasonable or acceptable escalation of force.

That is why you move to Texas.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Robber caught trying to steal my tortoises !

jaizei said:
Jd3 said:
CourtneyG said:
What state do you live in? Because in Alabama you can shoot him, he had intent to harm your family and property.

Worst advice I've ever seen given. Your understanding of castle doctrine is terrible.

http://www.usacarry.com/alabama_stand_your_ground_castle_doctrine_law.html

You can defend yourself or a person and it is not worded that someone in your yard stealing a tortoise is a reason to shoot someone...

You will get the death penalty if shoot someone who is trying to steal something from your yard. This is not a reasonable or acceptable escalation of force.

That is why you move to Texas.

You can't shoot people in Texas for stealing tortoise The only thing you can do is let the police handle it . I would talk to the kids dad . Just let them know what his son is up to .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.