Robber caught trying to steal my tortoises !

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
mike taylor said:
jaizei said:
Jd3 said:
CourtneyG said:
What state do you live in? Because in Alabama you can shoot him, he had intent to harm your family and property.

Worst advice I've ever seen given. Your understanding of castle doctrine is terrible.

http://www.usacarry.com/alabama_stand_your_ground_castle_doctrine_law.html

You can defend yourself or a person and it is not worded that someone in your yard stealing a tortoise is a reason to shoot someone...

You will get the death penalty if shoot someone who is trying to steal something from your yard. This is not a reasonable or acceptable escalation of force.

That is why you move to Texas.

You can't shoot people in Texas for stealing tortoise The only thing you can do is let the police handle it . I would talk to the kids dad . Just let them know what his son is up to .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

1. Texas has provisions for use of deadly force to protect property under certain circumstances.

2. For circumstances not covered; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shooting_controversy

Jd3

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
Jd3 said:
CourtneyG said:
What state do you live in? Because in Alabama you can shoot him, he had intent to harm your family and property.

Worst advice I've ever seen given. Your understanding of castle doctrine is terrible.

You can defend yourself or a person and it is not worded that someone in your yard stealing a tortoise is a reason to shoot someone...

You will get the death penalty if shoot someone who is trying to steal something from your yard. This is not a reasonable or acceptable escalation of force.

Even worse advice. In Texas they'll give you the death penalty and do it quickly!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Except Texas has provisions for use of deadly force to protect property under certain circumstances. In other circumstances, if it came to it, it would most likely not be capital so no death penalty. Something to keep in mind.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
mike taylor said:
jaizei said:
Jd3 said:
CourtneyG said:

You can't shoot people in Texas for stealing tortoise The only thing you can do is let the police handle it . I would talk to the kids dad . Just let them know what his son is up to .

True...it'd be hard to convince a judge here that you were justified in defending a pet tortoise "with extreme prejudice", but you do have the option of detaining the little s*** until the police arrive...just be sure the perp's still alive.

Better yet, nip this little crime wave-in-the-making in the bud by informing the police and pressing charges. Possibly had someone called the police on the the kid who stole Apollonia before he became a serious criminal, his life might've turned around and she'd still be with me. :(

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
jaizei said:
Jd3 said:
CourtneyG said:

Since they routinely execute innocent and mentally challenged people in Texas, I guess executing them for stealing a tortoise isn't that much of a stretch.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Arguing that it would be appropriate to kill a potential thief for trespassing as good advice for a juvenile in this situation seems both negligent and irresponsible.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
This is seriously my worst fear! I'd sink into a terrible depression if that ever happened.

I hate that my husbands ex has my address. She is super shady and I've always had a silent fear that she'll tell a friend that has enough AHEM to sneak into my yard and take my shelled babies.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
I hope that never happens to you ! That's really scary , I hate when people try to do bad things to others :/ my parents thought me to treat others the way I want to be treated and always respect people I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to be respectful and nice to other people , if something happens to my tortoises I would be sad and I can guarantee you I would even cry if something happen to them , the first thing I do when I get home from work is check on them and make sure they are fine :)

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Today before going to my self defense class I went out of my house just to relax lol but instead my brother and I saw the guy that try to steal my tortoises !!! :O my brother and I went to the guys house and talked to his mother !!! Omg I wish I would of done it before !!!! The guys mom was so upset for what his son try to do ! She was mad she hit the guy two times !!! And she apologize for what he did she told me that if I ever see her son around my house again or if its something missing to call the police on him and that after the police finish with their job she's gonna teach him a lesson with a belt !! :eek: but I'm really sure she already did it lol woow karma really works :D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
See I told you . Parents sometimes care what there kids ate up too. O bet he is going to need a pillow to sit on . :D:D:D:D:D

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Lol !! I'm so glad to see that some parents really care and do something about their kids actions! I'm 22 and I grew up the old way , oh god I grew up hiding my dads belts lol but until this day I can tell people I never steal anything from anyone or took anything from someone I never been disrespectful to anyone and I think not only once but 3 times before I do something and I thank my parents for everything they thought me :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Now days, if a parent acts like you said the mother acted, there are bigger problems in that house then just the kid. I would take any extra precautions you can on securing your torts. Kids don't have to be hit to be well raised and respectful. My parents never hit, whipped or grounded us and we were very respectful, well behaved kids and adults. Glad she cared about what he did. Too bad she doesn't care more about who he is and what she is raising him to be:(

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
wellington said:
Now days, if a parent acts like you said the mother acted, there are bigger problems in that house then just the kid. I would take any extra precautions you can on securing your torts. Kids don't have to be hit to be well raised and respectful. My parents never hit, whipped or grounded us and we were very respectful, well behaved kids and adults. Glad she cared about what he did. Too bad she doesn't care more about who he is and what she is raising him to be:(

Well said...never felt the need to strike any of my 3 kiddoes, but did my best to instill integrity, honesty and compassion.

Status
Not open for further replies.