FLUORESCENT YELLOW PEE....is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
One of my EBTs peed in the water and it was Fluorescent yellow/green. They often relieve themselves in the water and that is not my concern as I know this is common. It just so happens that this time it was a fluorescent shade of yellow/green or lime green. Is this normal?

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
Maybe dehydrated or a urinary problem? I've never heard of that before...I know though that it will be darker if they're not drinking enough, if that helps :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I have seen greenish urine before - usually after eating mustard greens or something to that effect. What is yours eating?

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
She is the one I posted previously w/3 toes but remnants of a 4th...she's quite large. Anyways, I have only had her for about a month...I noticed this a couple of weeks ago but didn't think about posting this. I have saw her soaking probably every 2nd day, so she was apparently drinking. She laid eggs about a week ago. I'm not sure if this could effect it or not??? Thank you for your response.
Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199 said:
Maybe dehydrated or a urinary problem? I've never heard of that before...I know though that it will be darker if they're not drinking enough, if that helps :)

Hi, thank you for your response. I've only had her about 1 month; this occurred about 2 wks. ago. I do not know what her diet was previously, but I try to offer a wide variety...perhaps, if it's diet related, then it will change over time. Thanks again.

JoesMum said:
Pee can be affected by diet. What have they been eating?

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
Quite possibly it could have an effect, this might just be the explanation!! However I'm not 100% sure but I'm thinking that's probably the reason behind this, I'd still get some other opinions though...Maybe talk to some people with egg laying box turtles, maybe they can see if this happens to theirs too.

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Thank you kimber... I haven't fed mustard greens, nor do I know what she ate a month or so ago when I got her. I feed worms a couple of times a week...and anything they catch in enclosure or I find, such as: slugs, pill bugs, centipedes, etc. Regularly, I feed various veggies, including: yellow summer squash, sweet potato, various colors of bell peppers, and various turtle foods moistened including sun dried shrimp. Also, I usually feed what's on hand, including: banana, carrots, apple, spring mix, cucumbers, tomatoes, mushrooms. Ocassionally grape leaves, rose petals, etc. Any suggestions to diet are welcomed..I'm still learning. I have, however, found that they will not eat the veggies w/o some smelly turtle food mixture on top.

kimber_lee_314 said:
I have seen greenish urine before - usually after eating mustard greens or something to that effect. What is yours eating?

Yes, definitely...they have a large outdoor enclosure and anything could live or end up there. She is a really good hunter, so it's def. possible.

thea lester said:
Does he live outside? Maybe ate a caterpillar... They're all fluorescent greeny-guts.
T

Ok, thank you. I took 3 to vet for exams and stool sample about a month and a half ago. Even though she's the only one w/in 2 hr. drive that sees exotics, I truly did not feel she was comfortable w/EBTs...she's great w/my doxies though. I'll keep watching her and adhere to all advise received here. Thanks again. I appreciate your time.

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199 said:
Quite possibly it could have an effect, this might just be the explanation!! However I'm not 100% sure but I'm thinking that's probably the reason behind this, I'd still get some other opinions though...Maybe talk to some people with egg laying box turtles, maybe they can see if this happens to theirs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.