Light Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I am toiling of what fixture and bulb to get. I am running short on time and im hoping someone can tell me frankly which fixture and bulb is best?

For my RFs I want a 10.0 bulb, i know they only "need" a 5.0, but Id rather the 10.0 and be able to keep the fixture further away.

Im looking for both 36" and 48", and I need a fixture that i can affix hooks or something to as Ill need to hang the fixtures with chain or string. Cost is not so much an issue as quality is.

I read something about a 48" fixture needs a 36" bulb?...Im super tired and running on fumes, probably just confusing myself. Either way, someone please tell me whats best, and maybe perhaps even where to get what I need? I need to order the stuff tonight hopefully. Thank you, as always much appreciated.

Tom

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
My favorite place to order all these things from is LLLReptile, but I'm not sure you could hang them. I would think in that case you would need to go to a hardware store for the fixture? The bulbs though, LLLReptile definitely.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
I checked our LLL, they seem to have only hoods, i cant tell if theyre hangable. Anyone else have a good idea for me?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have drilled holes in my hoods to hang them. I have done this for aquarium hoods and tort hoods. I have drilled through the top and sides. Any empty space on the hood. Otherwise, you could order the bulb and then take it to a hardware store or a Home Depot and see if you can find a fixture that will work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can also build a simple overhead frame from 2x4s and hang anything you want that way.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
TommyZ said:
Hi All,

I am toiling of what fixture and bulb to get. I am running short on time and im hoping someone can tell me frankly which fixture and bulb is best?

For my RFs I want a 10.0 bulb, i know they only "need" a 5.0, but Id rather the 10.0 and be able to keep the fixture further away.

Im looking for both 36" and 48", and I need a fixture that i can affix hooks or something to as Ill need to hang the fixtures with chain or string. Cost is not so much an issue as quality is.

I read something about a 48" fixture needs a 36" bulb?...Im super tired and running on fumes, probably just confusing myself. Either way, someone please tell me whats best, and maybe perhaps even where to get what I need? I need to order the stuff tonight hopefully. Thank you, as always much appreciated.

Tom

You might be thinking of T5s. A 48" fixture uses 46" lamps. The high output T5s are well regarded and considered by many to be better than a lot of MVBs.

Lightyourreptiles.com is where I would look first.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Light Fixture

Tom said:
You can also build a simple overhead frame from 2x4s and hang anything you want that way.

This enclosure is a pretty good size 12 by 8. Its in my basement and the ceiling is not finished as i just gutted it, so all the beams and everything are exposed, essentially making it one giant frame, lol. I basically have a blank canvas so to speak.

Jaizei and Will: Thanks for the info, whats the difference between the t5 and t8? I read about peeps using a t8 also.

Barb: I see, guess i can just drill, im surprised they all arent predrilled, hmph..

Status
Not open for further replies.