Flower safe for tortoises?

maddie134

Hi everyone!

I’ve had my baby leo for a few months now and he has been active and showed no signs of sicknesses.

I found some “edible flowers” today in the grocery store and was wondering if my leo could eat it. I checked tortoise table and it had no results to the flower. I’m pretty sure the flowers are from Japan (because thats the only section where you will be able to find flowers from in a grocery store) but Im not entirely sure...

There are many different flowers I can feed him where I live but I’m just afraid everything is sprayed with pesticides. And if I go to a store, sometimes they are not 100% certain that it didn’t have chemicals in them because normally flower and plants are shipped here for selling.

I will try to plant my own flowers soon though but in the meantime I give my tort a mixture of mazuri, Timothy hay, some romaine, and grass.

Here are some pictures:

IMG_7301.jpgIMG_7298.jpgIMG_7300.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
They “kind of” look like single Snapdragon flowers - but not 100 percent on the ID
  • The American Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals says colorful snapdragons (Antirrhinum majus) are nontoxic to dogs, cats and horses. Researchers at the University of California include snapdragons on their list of safe plants for adults and children.Jan 13, 2011
    • Common Name: Antirrhinum (Snapdragon, Snap Dragon)
    • Latin Name: Antirrhinum spp. esp. Antirrhinum majus & antirrhinum siculum
    • Family Name: formerly Scrophulariaceae, now Plantaginaceae
    There are no known hazards so the flowers and leaves are fine as part of a varied diet. Snapdragon flowers closely resemble those of Toadflax, which is toxic, so be sure of your identification before you offer this plant to your tortoise. One way to distinguish between Antirrhinum and Toadflax is that the flowers of Toadflax have a long pointed spur, extending down from the main body of the flower, and this is absent in Antirrhinum flowers.

maddie134

They “kind of” look like single Snapdragon flowers - but not 100 percent on the ID
  • The American Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Animals says colorful snapdragons (Antirrhinum majus) are nontoxic to dogs, cats and horses. Researchers at the University of California include snapdragons on their list of safe plants for adults and children.Jan 13, 2011
    There are no known hazards so the flowers and leaves are fine as part of a varied diet. Snapdragon flowers closely resemble those of Toadflax, which is toxic, so be sure of your identification before you offer this plant to your tortoise. One way to distinguish between Antirrhinum and Toadflax is that the flowers of Toadflax have a long pointed spur, extending down from the main body of the flower, and this is absent in Antirrhinum flowers.

Hi,
Thank you so much! I already have gave some o my leo and he seems to love it :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Yeah.. i got a “like” from @Iochroma :)