Florida Softshell Eggs

Kamerus88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hey everyone.

I've been incubating some Florida Softshell eggs from a roadkill mother for the past 67 days. They are begging to flake and crack and I can see one of the hatchlings wiggling around inside the now slightly translucent egg.

Does anyone have experience hatching softshell (Apalone sp.) turtles who might be ale to describe to me the process they're eggs went through? I've never incubated this species and there is very little info that I can find.

I'm just at the point where I'm getting a little worried haha (but I'm a self proclaimed hypochondriac!).

parrotlady

5 Year Member
How exciting! I know nothing about water turtles, I am sure someone with experience will see your post. Please keep us updated and of course pictures are a must.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't know anything at all about hatching turtles, but I'm SO GLAD people like you do this!!! Wishing you and the little guys GOOD LUCK!! (And giving your thread a bump!) :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's been many years since I've hatched out softshells but from what you're describing it sounds like they are very close to hatching. A good water spritz may entice them to finally break out and emerge.

Kamerus88

5 Year Member
Louisiana
softie.jpgsoftie2.jpgsofites 3.jpg

Just wanted to update! The 8 eggs that made it to the 60 days mark have all hatched into healthy beautiful babies. It took the last one around 80 something days to finally hatch but they are out and ready to be released!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Congrats and what beautiful babies they are! I love when folks save eggs from a roadkilled turtle!!

Years back, we incubated some softshells. We did it the "old fashioned" way of just putting them into a plastic box on the shelf. I was surprised when they all hatched. It was so cute to see them all moving around and to watch them take off into the pond we released them into (and where their Mother had come from). Yours however being the Florida variety, are much prettier. Geesh I would have been hard pressed not to keep one or two. :D

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Wow gorgeous!!!! Awesome pictures :) I had one as a kid so this is really cool to see

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
They are gorgeous!!! It's got to feel mighty GOOD to successfully hatch eggs taken from a roadkill mom!