Turtle eggs near hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.

cselvanera

5 Year Member
Need advice.....

It has been 70 days today since my painted turtle laid eggs.
She laid 6 eggs in water as for some reason she refused her sandy pit.

I rescued all of them as soon as I found them in case there was still hope.

5 out of six eggs show no development upon candling but none have developed mold nor collapsed.

One I had very high hopes for as on day 63 the egg was plump and large veins were visible as well as the tiny turtles arms and legs moving around.

However on day 67 I noticed the egg had shrunk a bit and dented in a bit and upon candling, the veins were no longer visible, all I saw was a dark shadow covering almost the whole egg so I added more water for humidity and it took 3 days (until today) to un-dent.

I am not moving the egg, but shining the light through it, the massive dark shadow has cleared but I still see no veins and pretty much half of the egg just glows reddish.

Is it normal for the veins running through the egg to disappear shortly before hatching?

Please help, I was so looking forward to this little guy hatching!!

melbeebe1980

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Sorry my two RES are only 2 years old.... I have yet to experience eggs.
I hope somebody is able to help you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would be on pins and needles myself, I do know that eggs laid in the water usually do not hatch, but stranger things have happened. Does it look like there is a baby inside? have you candled it recently? is there an odor from the egg? how long were they in the water?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It all sounds very normal :) Yes the veins do go away the closer to hatching the embryo is.

Danny

cselvanera

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
It all sounds very normal :) Yes the veins do go away the closer to hatching the embryo is.

Danny

Thanks to every one!!! Well it has been a week now since the egg started to dent. With added moisture it had swelled back up, they egg does not dent when I touch it but it seems very translucent and doesn't really have that "hard" outer shell. Yesterday I shone the light through the side and I would say about 70% is very dark shadow and 30% across the bottom shines very bright red. I'm gonna start pulling my hair out very soon.!!

All of the eggs were laid in the water. 3 of which could have been there for up to 8 hours as she laid them over night, 2 were discovered in less than 5 mins and one may have been there for up to an hour. She laid 5 eggs,and the last 5 days later. What a strange turtle :)

cselvanera

5 Year Member
This is what the egg looks like.
I don't want to pick it up to take a picture but with my little wormlight, candling looks like this. Of course not quite that red.... but just to give you an idea

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    910 bytes · Views: 62

laura13617

5 Year Member
midwest
any more news on the eggs? i love my painted turt I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.