Flipping upside down?

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
So recently I found out that somehow that torts can flip upside down. Therefore I'm wondering: can something bad happen to the tort if it were to stay upside down for too long?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So recently I found out that somehow that torts can flip upside down. Therefore I'm wondering: can something bad happen to the tort if it were to stay upside down for too long?

As well as they can have too much pressure on their lungs is upside down too long....it is a hazard for the tortoise.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So you're saying they would have breathing difficulties when upside down??
Remember that tortoise lungs are in the top area of their bodies, just under the carapace. That puts their other organs beneath the lungs.

Now turn him upside down...all his other organs are pushing down on his lungs. Plus he is frantic and struggling, so needs more air.

Yes, they do die from being on their backs too long. They can't breathe.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Remember that tortoise lungs are in the top area of their bodies, just under the carapace. That puts their other organs beneath the lungs.

Now turn him upside down...all his other organs are pushing down on his lungs. Plus he is frantic and struggling, so needs more air.

Wow sucks for them... Under what possible ways can they flip upside down? Falling down while climbing some ledges?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Wow sucks for them... Under what possible ways can they flip upside down? Falling down while climbing some ledges?
They seem to find every way possible...climbing the enclosure wall; trying to climb their hides; actually getting on top of something and falling off; too deep a water dish (if they get exhausted, they can drown); if babies are housed together, they can flip climbing on each other; and a biggie-fighting. They flip their opponent on purpose.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
They seem to find every way possible...climbing the enclosure wall; trying to climb their hides; actually getting on top of something and falling off; too deep a water dish (if they get exhausted, they can drown); if babies are housed together, they can flip climbing on each other; and a biggie-fighting. They flip their opponent on purpose.
I see... So basically shallow water dish, hide with steep sides, slippery wall can minimize the chance of tort flipping, did I get that right?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I see... So basically shallow water dish, hide with steep sides, slippery wall can minimize the chance of tort flipping, did I get that right?
You can remove everything that would be a flipping hazard but with most torts it's inevitable someday.

Nitabnita31

Anaheim Hills, California
My baby torts use to climb on there hide and fall off. I would find them upside down. Or a face full of sand (back then didn’t know better) they never flipped each other but I have heard they can. I tried everything to get them to not climb on it but they climbed using the walls and each other. So it is something they like to do. Lol.

Redwood City, CA, United States
I mentioned this in an earlier issue and it seemed to help our other member. First understand as they get older and bigger this flipping inconvenience practically diminishes so you won't have to be concerned too long. If your tort is kept in housing as a baby for controlled humidity and climbing on his hide or getting into corners and grabbing into the walls my solution was to place river rocks in the corners and against anything i didn't want him to bed able to grab a hold of. Not little pebbles or large ones...but they sell them the size of a quarter ya know? They are attractive and our wee ones cant grab onto them and keep sliding back down. Eventually the multiple attempts at climbing on them will find the rocks flattening out or getting drug around so what i did was use hot glue! I hot glued the rocks from the under side to stay in the shape i desired against the corner or whatever. Now don't glue them to the corner...we want to remove them for cleaning...but it also makes cleaning easier lifting the rock pile in one big lump instead. Good luck

Mo & Bolt

Uk
image.jpeg I have had to remove the rocks from their enclosure as one kept falling onto his back. He is an ardent climber , and just won't stop .

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Unfortunately some turtles and tortoises seem to have a death wish about climbing

Nitabnita31

Anaheim Hills, California
Unfortunately some turtles and tortoises seem to have a death wish about climbing

Yes I was fortunate that I was able to be working from home to keep an eye on them. I also had to take the house out when I knew I was going to be gone a long time.
Suicide turtles. Lmao

Unkapunka

Osage City
Mine tort has flipped himself many times. I am at home all day so i just had to look in on him. Today i caught him and i sprayed him with water. He took off he was so mad.lol

Crush da Baum

Brooksville

My torts are complete dare devils and I find them on their backs many times. Most of the time they can right themselves up but once I found him on his food slate upside down and just tucked into his shell. It seems he just gave up. I flipped him over and he seemed to be breathing heavily for a little bit but was fine after. Do you know if lung issues when upside down are only an immediate issue or could they be something that could be long term if he survives? The food slate was in the shade and it was a overcast because it was about to rain so I don't think he could have overheated.