My Tortoise has a death wish. I don't know what to do.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Since I don't have anything to easily cut wood at an angle I decided to just go with a ledge around the walls. It's just higher than my Tortoise head. This should hopefully prevent climbing a think. IMG_20200906_122246753.jpgIMG_20200906_122254604.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most of my tortoises live outside, so I don't really have the flipping problem unless the male gets a little too frisky, but I've notice with the indoor animals, if I'm a little late bringing their food they start to get nervous and extra active and I've found one or two on their back in those instances.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Well I have a three day weekend so I figured why not build a new enclosure. This is the idea I have for a temporary solution, and I hope this is just a faze. All four walls of the enclosure will have a board that comes from the corner out at a about a 22.5 degree angle. My thinking is she won't be able to climb the wall if it comes out at an angle above her head. I drew a super detailed rough blueprint to show what I mean.View attachment 305324
I love your super detailed blueprints. Its like 3d!

Zoeclare

Uk
How is Marge doing in her new enclosure, it looks great! I had a similar issue recently, one of Nitros ches is set at a slightly higher temp to make sure his humid hide stays warm enough but it creates a little hot spot underneath so I put some decor and a plant pot underneath to block it off and it's been fine. Well twice in the last couple of weeks Nitro has managed to climb up somehow and get wedged there BOTH times when I've been out shopping its so frightening to find them like that when you get home!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
How is Marge doing in her new enclosure, it looks great! I had a similar issue recently, one of Nitros ches is set at a slightly higher temp to make sure his humid hide stays warm enough but it creates a little hot spot underneath so I put some decor and a plant pot underneath to block it off and it's been fine. Well twice in the last couple of weeks Nitro has managed to climb up somehow and get wedged there BOTH times when I've been out shopping its so frightening to find them like that when you get home!
So far so good. She's been in the heated house all night.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Looks like you nailed it! I was thinking of your maybe making a low "ceiling" of plexiglass with perforations that fits over a ledge that goes all the way around near the base of the enclosure. As the tortoise starts to try and climb, she will buck up against this ceiling and be unable to flip over at all....don't know what may be the disadvantages of this!

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
My juvenile Redfoot seems to have a death wish lately. She keeps flipping herself upside down and she doesn't seem to be able to right herself. She's never done this before but over the past 3 weeks I've found her upside down multiple times. She's been in the same indoor and outdoor enclosure this whole year and she's always been content and didn't climb the walls. However, in about the past few weeks she's constantly trying to climb the walls and ending up on her back. I found her upside down outside 3 times in one day. Each time she had defecated herself and I have no idea how long she was like that. The last time when I righted her she kept turning her head to the side and opening her mouth. After a few minutes she was ok. I stopped putting her outside for the time being ever since. Now today in her indoor enclosure she was found 3 times thru out the day upside down in her water dish and had defecated herself again. I don't know what to do or what's causing this. I can't stay home from work everyday and monitor her and I'm afraid I'm going to find her dead. Anyone else ever experience something like this?
Yes Rosie was doing g that for a bit but has stopped thank god...my internet will be turned on today ap I can start using the cam....although it's been awhile since shes flipped

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
So how is the flipping going now? Any improvement over the last few weeks?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
So how is the flipping going now? Any improvement over the last few weeks?
Well we went from one extreme to the other. I haven't posted about it but she seems to really be having trouble adjusting to the change. She isn't coming out of the house at all since she's been in there unless I take her out. I haven't gotten too worried because I've been taking her out everyday to soak and eat and she's still drinking and eating like a pig. Just right back into the house when she's done. I think she's still pouting.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I had flipping tortoise when young exploring hatchling and removed all climbing aperatus. When you find them flipped over a soak is normally a good idea. I like the inverted side enclosure you have provided. On my outside enclosure I have pebbles all around to prevent climbing. In addition once they grow gravity takes over and flips are rare but not eliminated. Hopè you have it under control as I was distraught! I installed a web cam to monitor!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
they can sulk with a new layout. Try and keep some same food and routine continuity and it will come round.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Well we went from one extreme to the other. I haven't posted about it but she seems to really be having trouble adjusting to the change. She isn't coming out of the house at all since she's been in there unless I take her out. I haven't gotten too worried because I've been taking her out everyday to soak and eat and she's still drinking and eating like a pig. Just right back into the house when she's done. I think she's still pouting.
Sorry to hear she’s having a hard time adjusting to her new surroundings. I hope she comes around soon. It always hurts the heart when they aren’t acting like their usual selves.

dashthetortoise

New York
My juvenile Redfoot seems to have a death wish lately. She keeps flipping herself upside down and she doesn't seem to be able to right herself. She's never done this before but over the past 3 weeks I've found her upside down multiple times. She's been in the same indoor and outdoor enclosure this whole year and she's always been content and didn't climb the walls. However, in about the past few weeks she's constantly trying to climb the walls and ending up on her back. I found her upside down outside 3 times in one day. Each time she had defecated herself and I have no idea how long she was like that. The last time when I righted her she kept turning her head to the side and opening her mouth. After a few minutes she was ok. I stopped putting her outside for the time being ever since. Now today in her indoor enclosure she was found 3 times thru out the day upside down in her water dish and had defecated herself again. I don't know what to do or what's causing this. I can't stay home from work everyday and monitor her and I'm afraid I'm going to find her dead. Anyone else ever experience something like this?
Hi,
My toroise was gasping for air/ opening his mouth like you mentioned. I'm mostly sure that is dehydration coz I took him to the vet and they saw more signs of dehydration coz I wasnt soking him.. I started to do so and since then i havent seen him gasp/open his mouth like that.. and especiallt since your tortoise is flipping, i would suggest soaking her every 3-4 days in lukewarm water (depends on the environment), coz they absorb water through their skin too. Also notice- is her skin flaky and coming out? if yes thats def a sign of dehydration and needs soaking.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi,
My toroise was gasping for air/ opening his mouth like you mentioned. I'm mostly sure that is dehydration coz I took him to the vet and they saw more signs of dehydration coz I wasnt soking him.. I started to do so and since then i havent seen him gasp/open his mouth like that.. and especiallt since your tortoise is flipping, i would suggest soaking her every 3-4 days in lukewarm water (depends on the environment), coz they absorb water through their skin too. Also notice- is her skin flaky and coming out? if yes thats def a sign of dehydration and needs soaking.
This thread is from last year. You need to look at the post you want to respond to...if it's 2020...too old...
it reads...