First flip.

Lexiii

Location (City and/or State)
CT
So, today I found Tyrion flipped over next to his hide, which is a dish pan flipped upside down. It's a straight up and down wall! I check on him constantly, so he wasn't upside down for long, and that's a dark corner. The problem is, I start my first job in 20 years next week! I'm going to be a mess. I never thought he would flip over like that.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So, today I found Tyrion flipped over next to his hide, which is a dish pan flipped upside down. It's a straight up and down wall! I check on him constantly, so he wasn't upside down for long, and that's a dark corner. The problem is, I start my first job in 20 years next week! I'm going to be a mess. I never thought he would flip over like that.
Don't panic: this could happen to any tort. How did your tort react afterwards? Was he active, or did you have any suspicions that he was in pain? Whatever your answer, I would take him to a vet. Good luck.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they flip Marwan are young because they're not used to it. if you're that concerned you could always remove the hide while you're out.

Lexiii

CT
He was fine, I soaked him right away and he ate like a pig. I'm putting deeper substrate in that corner. He likes to poop in that corner, which makes cleanup easy, lol.

I calmed down now, but I almost had a heart attack.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Sounds like he will be fine ! Settle down , like they say "stuff" happens !
m1212.gif

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
You could do what I do and put a camera in the enclosure so you can monitor while you're away. Although, if you have no one you can call to go upright your tortoise and/or you can't leave work to do it yourself then I imagine a camera won't be much use. The few times my torts have flipped over I just sat and watched on the camera for a few minutes and they have always managed to flip back over on their own. So either way, as long as there is nothing they can flip themselves over with under the basking light, I wouldn't worry too much.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It sounds like you have a handle on things.
Babies climb and babies flip. The key is to not have a heat lamp near anywhere that he has flipped before or a water dish near that spot that he might drown in.
Aside from heat and drowning, they can stay upside down for quite a while and be fine. You'd be amazed how many times they flip and right themselves before you even saw it.
As they get larger they flip less and are much better at flipping back.
This is a critical time...the first year, year and a half.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
They sometimes flip, especially when young as they're testing their abilities, what they are and are not capable of.
It's usually ok as long as it isn't in deep water or directly under a heat source.
As has been said, you can remove potential flip hazards before you leave and make sure at other times that the chances of flipping near water or a basking light are reduced.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
He was fine, I soaked him right away and he ate like a pig. I'm putting deeper substrate in that corner. He likes to poop in that corner, which makes cleanup easy, lol.

I calmed down now, but I almost had a heart attack.
I understand you.Torts can be really naughty at times, and frighten their owners like mad.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Couldn't you make a mesh cover that goes into the table more so he has no room to climb,sort of have it something like an inch away from shell,so he can walk about fine but cant climb.

Lexiii

CT
Not really, this is his enclosure.

Attachments

• DSCN1268.JPG
    DSCN1268.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 20

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Not really, this is his enclosure.

Great minds think alike I have a similar enclosure had it for a while now I'd try replacing the hid with a half of clay pot works great

How did you seal the bottom? The plastic on mine extends to the wood I taped it but get leaks from condisation looking for other ways

Attachments

• 1439932437630.jpg
    1439932437630.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 7

Lexiii

CT
The bottom is a huge plastic drip tray. I was going to build one but I don't trust myself with tools. I didn't think of tape, I shoved some tin foil around the edges to keep him from escaping.

I have a pot on one side and a box on the other, but you're right....I should replace the box with another pot.

Sure is a great enclosure for keeping the humidity up!