Flavia or is it Flavio?!

Flav-the-horsefield

Hi all,
We are brand new to tortoise ownership and have acquired a horse field whom our 3 year old has named Flavia.
We are not sure if she may be a he though...

We live in the UK and have got our new arrival a tortoise table to live in.

Flav is currently basking under her lamp.

I haven't seen her drink since we got her yesterday... not sure how much is normal for a horse field.
Any tips appreciated!

Thanks
Jo, Danny, Maria and Flav!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to you and your new Hosrfield (Russian) from Kent, UK

Have you read the TFO care guides for your species? They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tort Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

It is common for new torts to be very shy. However, problems with setup are also common, and temperatures in particular can cause inactivity.

Can you tell us the temperature directly under the basking lamp, warm side, cool side and overnight minimum.

Photos of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you better.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I recommend establishing a routine with a new tort so it learns that you are safe and what to expect when.

Put the lights on a timer for 12-14 hours a day so they come on and go off at the same time each day.

First thing every morning, before your tort has warmed up properly, soak your tort for at least 20 minutes in warm water. Use a bowl with a flat bottom and high sides that your tort cannot see over or through; a washing up bowl is ideal. The water needs to be deep enough to come just up over the join between the sheel and the plastron.

While your tort soaks, tidy the enclosure and place food.

Replace your tort and walk away. Leave your tort completely alone to be brave and explore without a big intimidating human staring at it.

It will soon learn that you are the supplier of yummy food, but give it chance :)

Your tort is happiest with 4 feet on the floor and in the correct humidity and temperatures. They are solitary creatures and don't need, want or particularly like company. Resist the temptation to keep taking your tort out of its enclosure to play or whatever :)

Flav-the-horsefield

Hi,

Thanks for all your welcomes!
After I posted Flav had a sudden burst of energy (must have been the warmth of basking!).
She devoured quite a few dandelion leaves and some of her tortoise food but didn't head to the water bowl.
I've just swapped the water bowl for an extra shallow dish in case this was putting her off.

Temperature under the basking lamp is about 33 degrees Celsius. I had put a bit of slate under it too which is nice and warm.
Temperature on the cooler side is 20-22 degrees Celsius.
Then there is the covered hide area. I don't have a thermometer in there.
It has a glass partition to put a heat mat behind, but our house doesn't go below 16 degrees, especially now it is spring.
Also, I have a bit of hay in there which Flav seems to like burrowing into.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It needs to be 35-37C under the basking lamp

A temperature gun thermometer like this from Amazon is best for measuring spot temperatures accurately.

Hay isn't recommended as it goes mouldy in the humid conditions required by a young tort. Have the substrate around 10cm deep and damp so your tort can dig into that. Coco coir and fine grade orchid bark, cheapest from a DIY store or garden centre, are good substrates; rabbit pellets and those with white bits in (sadly sold for torts!) should not be used.

Heat mats are also not suitable. If your tort needs supplementary heat then get a Ceramic Heat Emitter and use it with a thermostat.

Flav-the-horsefield

I have got "tortoise eco terrain" substrate made by Komodo at the moment.
I can go out to look for the others you have mentioned and can take out the hay.

How do you measure the humidity? How easy is it to maintain in an open tortoise table?

I can lower the lamp a bit to up the heat for basking.

Can you find the heat emitters on amazon as well?

Flav is about 4 years old.
I was going to book her in just for a baseline check up at the vets once she is settled in.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We don't recommend eco terrain as it contains white bits. Tortoises eat white things in search of calcium and start eating the substrate. This isn't great... They're not supposed to eat the substrate. It could impact in the gut.

Coco coir from a DIY store or garden centre is much better. You can buy it in bricks like this. Use water to soften them and break them down into a soil.

You need a digital hygrometer to measure humidity. You will find them on Amazon.

Ceramic Heat Emitters, thermostats and ceramic lamp holders necessary for holding the CHE can be bought from pet stores and online. Shop around for where is cheapest. I like Nothampton Reptile Centre, Amazon and the Shelled Warriors Shop online.