Fish, birds, cats, etc, why no tort magazines??

Status
Not open for further replies.

morloch

5 Year Member
I wish there were tort magazines ,, like the ones for dogs, cats, birds, horses,fish,,, catch my drift??!
At least I havnt seen any! 😄😄

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Reptile magazine is pretty good, covers torts from time to time.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Wonder if there'd be enough of a market to make a tortoise-only magazine viable? Or even a tortoise AND turtle-only magazine?

Possibly a 4-issue-annually magazine?

morloch

5 Year Member
Yes!! I think that would be a great idea! I think the market is out there.!!😄

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There a great magazine put out in Germany called Radiata. There is an English edition too. I used to have a subscription, but allowed it to run out. We have talked about it here on the Forum before.

You can do a search here on the Forum and find the info on how to subscribe, or you can contact Sabine Hofler-Thierfeldt at [email protected]

morloch

5 Year Member
Hmm, does this magazine revolve around a variety of torts? I think I will research this!! Thankyou!!😏😄

Franklin

5 Year Member
Hi,

The Behler Chelonian Center has begun to publish a magazine called "the tortoise". First issue is still available at $25 each, most of the price appears to go to tortoise conservation. <http://turtleconservancy.org/>

It's somewhat fashioned from Nat Geo in shape, and text format. There will never be a cover grad line like "10 cool set-ups for your iguana" or a jokes page. It's a serious conservation intended mag. That said it's enjoyable to read, and has a great many wonderful images.

Frank

EricIvins

5 Year Member
There are quite a few European periodicals that come out every year. Most, if not all are available to you if you are willing to have them shipped.......

The market for species or genera specific Reptile/Amphibian publications just isn't there like it is in Europe. In the US, the majority of consumers are just keeping these animals as "pets" and nothing more. They aren't going to be too interested in too much other than general care, which is why Reptiles magazine has lasted where others have failed. In Europe, the majority keeping animals in general are interested in all aspects and facets of the animals they keep.......There used to be 3 or 4 publications that came out in the US that were aimed at the serious collector or hobbiest, but all have folded over the years......

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
There's The Batagur which is an annual newsletter of the Turtle and Tortoise Preservation Group. I've liked both of the two newsletters that have been released, but I hope in the future they will include articles from other keepers instead of their main players.

http://www.ttpg.org/htm2010/batagur.html

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
The Turtle Survival Alliance has a wonderful annual magazine about their work around the world to save chelonians. It's very informative and inspiring, and the photographs are beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.