Status
Not open for further replies.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Castleton, VT
Hey there,

So this will be my first winter with my rt randy, is previous owner said he didn't truly hibernate but began to also down alot at he seasons changed.

He is starting to do that now. Preferring to sleep in his hide most of the day slightly graze at his food and mainly sit in his water bowl when not sleeping.
He has been in great health very active until it started to get cooler. His temps are normal aside from slightly cooler nights (still right around 60).

Is this a sign he may hibernate?

If so what should I do in preparation?

Also he is being weird in the morning if I try to wake him up he moves his legs but won't poke his head out of his shell or open his eyes.. I don't know if he's just being stubborn or what

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I dont let my Russian hibernate. I dont like the idea that she may not wake when its time. She always slows down a lot though. So I just adjust her feeding to what she seems to like in the colder months. Good luck!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
If you're not comfortable or not sure about hibernating, I wouldn't. You can wake him up every day and make sure he eats. If you do want to hibernate him, start searching hibernation and ask around a bit. I wouldn't hibernate unless I knew exactly what to do. That's why I don't.

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kaitlin:

It is usually prudent to keep a new-to-you tortoise up for it's first winter with you. This way you get to know the tortoise and can tell if he's a good weight, if he's showing signs of illness, etc.

It is sometimes very hard to keep a tortoise awake that really wants to hibernate. But allowing him to "...not truly hibernate..." might be harmful. A tortoise might use up his stores of body fat trying to stay alive if he hasn't truly gone deep into brumation. They can go a long time without eating, but I don't recommend allowing it to happen.

You're going to have to fool him into thinking it's still the middle of summer. Turn on the lights at 6 or 7a and off at 7 or 8p. Keep his habitat in summertime warmth, day and night (just a slight cool down at night). Take him out every morning and place him in front of the food...then every time you think about it, put him back in front of the food. Just keep disturbing him until he stays away on his own.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
Thank you all so much! I have been waking him every morning and plan on continuing he's still eating like a piggy which is a good sign! I don't want him to hibernate for the health reasons plus I'd miss the time I spend with him

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I had trouble with this last year. The temp would drop then heat back up. It was too confusing to me and the turtles. I just kept them awake. Yvonne gave some very good advice. When they start to slow down, they may not want to eat. Mine would eat every 3-4 days and drink water. When spring came around, it was like a clock switch...they just started moving around and eating was back to normal.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
Everyone has given great advice so I don't have to much to add except that I agree. :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I sure don't blame you, losing all that time you'd get to spend with your tort would just suck out loud in my opinion. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.