First winter with my Russian

Kthens52

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi! this is my first winter with my adopted russian, Peanut. It is just beginning to get cold in Virginia, and peanut has been moving a little slowly when hes not directly under his basking light. I usually let him roam around my home, but he has been immediately going for the bean bag to snuggle up under. Should i get a heating pad for him for inside his enclosure so he stays stimulated? he didn't eat as much today as he usually does and was all hissy when i picked him up to let him roam. Any advice in regard to temperature regulation?? Thanks!

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Hi! this is my first winter with my adopted russian, Peanut. It is just beginning to get cold in Virginia, and peanut has been moving a little slowly when hes not directly under his basking light. I usually let him roam around my home, but he has been immediately going for the bean bag to snuggle up under. Should i get a heating pad for him for inside his enclosure so he stays stimulated? he didn't eat as much today as he usually does and was all hissy when i picked him up to let him roam. Any advice in regard to temperature regulation?? Thanks!
definitely stop let him roaming around your house. he can get impacted on lots of things (dust bunnies, hair, etc). its also too cold on the floor. please keep him in the enclosure. tortoises are prey animals and will also look for places to hide and stay warm. have you should at this caresheet? https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/
ps: he shouldnt need a heat mat in his enclosure, some CHEs hooked up to a thermostat should be OK

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Yes roaming is a big NO. Follow the care sheet provided in the post above use this as your guide to raise a healthy tortoise.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I bought a small fridge from Walmart last fall for my rescue Russian, but ended up keeping him warm, awake, and active through the winter anyway... I wasn't sure enough of his health to want to risk brumation.

The little fridge, at its warmest setting, stays within a degree or so of 38F (loaded with bottled water for thermal mass), so I may try it again this winter... there's plenty of sources to read up on fridge-brumation on the internet.

In keeping him awake, I had a warming lamp set-up at one end of his enclosure with the UV,so that end was 90F on his tile, and the room didn't go below 60.

Jamie