First vet visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyjoy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland, USA
Yesterday I bought my first Russian Tortoise. She seems healthy as far as I can tell. I actually didn't expect her to be quite so active and friendly the first day we brought her home, but she's eaten both days I've had her, continues to investigate every inch of her new home, and doesn't seem to be distressed at all over the move. (On a side note, she also seems to be the only one that enjoys my singing voice since she came right over to the edge of her tank towards me both times she heard me singing. Though that's probably just a coincidence. xP)

So my question is, when should I bring her for her first vet visit? I thought it might be best to get her checked out. I'm obviously not an expert, and I thought it might be best to get her looked over no matter how healthy she looks to me. But at the same time, I think it might stress her out to be moved around so much during her first few days of living with me.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If it is not broke why fix it.......I am not a big fan of "automatically" taking a tort to the vet, just because....to me there is no reason. The stress can cause issues for, in your case --what seems to be a secure tort, your little one when it just is not necessary. A vet visit is not a required/necessary step "just because"....:D

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Where did you acquire your tortoise from? If it is from PetSmart or Petco, it may be a good idea to take some poop to the vet for a fecal test for parasites. Besides that, I wouldn't stress taking your new tortoise to the vet.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
ascott said:
If it is not broke why fix it.......I am not a big fan of "automatically" taking a tort to the vet, just because....to me there is no reason. The stress can cause issues for, in your case --what seems to be a secure tort, your little one when it just is not necessary. A vet visit is not a required/necessary step "just because"....:D

Agreed. If the animal needs medical attention, then go for it. Otherwise, let him take it easy and get used to his new home. That's what I do. :)

theelectraco

5 Year Member
greyjoy said:
We did get her from PetSmart.

You may want to keep a lookout for worms in their poop, or to be safe take a fecal sample to the vet. If you have purchased her in the past 14days, and you believe it to have worms, you can contact PetSmart and they will usually cover the cost of deworming. Especially of your PetSmart has a Banfield in it, then its really easy for them to have a fecal and get deworm meds. I work at PetSmart and the majority of our torts come in with parasites and news dewormed upon arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.