First Tortoise/turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

safereptilehouse

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Everett, WA
Im looking to get my first tortoise/turtle here soon and wanted some input from other members on what i should get. I need something can be indoors in the winter and most of the summer. Our fence isnt secure enough to hold a turtle unsupervised outside :( But i will be building a cage for this guy so he'll have plenty of room. Any suggestions on species? I'd really prefer something non-aquatic....

Later down the road (about four years) we'd love to get a sulcatta but i want to have a yard to give to them cuz as i understand it they grow pretty quickly.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
russians are really popular tortoises for the first timer, they are hardy, relatively small, and have great personalities. what area do you live in?

safereptilehouse

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Everett, WA
Close Im in everett washington... i was kinda thinkin eastern box turtle. I've heard they make great pets and are fairly easy to keep.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Box turtle or russian.. they get my vote..
Although outside and real sun is a must for whatever you get.. build a fence that can support one, or portable enclosure. make sure whatever you make for outside has a top that keeps critter out, but still allows sun in..
Enjoy!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Russians might be a little easier to keep then box turtles just because they dont require high humidity, and russian diet tends to be easier to maintain. Either way you go though your going to have your hurdles. By saying easy it doesn't mean you will get one and keep it in a tank and throw veggies at it. Best bet is to choose one box turtle or tortoise and then start reading and researching on that one species. If you have question forums are great places to ask as well.

PS: like above said think about outdoor living. That is the best enclosure for any tortoise or box turtle.

safereptilehouse

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Everett, WA
Im thinking eastern box turtle.... the omnivorous part will be easy i just need to buy a few more of the veggis and fruits im already getting for the dragons :) I've done a LOT of research and i think its the turtle for me :)

As for outdoor living, I already intend on building an outdoor cage for the bearded dragons during our warmer summer days, I might just connect the side of it into a turtle sanctuary too :) Just means i need to purchase more fencing and get afew days off to do it :)

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...don't forget Box Turtles are diggers, so you will need to bury your fence. I keep a dogloo in each of my enclosures with leaves in it for them to use as a hide, so they are less apt to dig out. So far only the Russians have tried to dig out, but I saw it before they went too far.
I have Carolina box turtles and I love them. They have so much personality. And their favorite food is fishworms. We have natural high humidity so I don't need to worry about that. They love to soak in their water dish...paint roller pan.
good luck
Patsy

safereptilehouse

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Everett, WA
Yea i heard about the digging habit of them but i still think that they would be a good match for our house :) Im excited about them as i found a local breeder that has babies ready for me :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That makes it even nicer having a local breeder. Easy to see their setup and mimic your setup like their's (with your added style of course). Extra nice just having another turtle or tortoise person nearby, let alone your own animals breeder. What a very lucky situation!! Can't wait to see the baby pictures.:)

safereptilehouse

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Everett, WA
Im way excited and now that I've thinned out my rats a little bit and the rescue dragons have found they're permanent homes I'm ready to set up the winter caging inside :) Next payday my new little buddy will be coming home with me. My wonderful other half wants me to name him/her "speedy" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.