first tortoise - need all the help I can get!!

tito283

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois
I just took on a new pet. My nephew was not caring for his tortoise so I decided to take it. I have never owned a tortoise before. Can anyone please help me identify the type of tortoise that I have? Also any advise on caring for it would be much appreciated. It is currently in a 20 gallon glass tank. Im not sure if a glass tank is the best for my new friend. 20141005_194225.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome to TFO . Its a Russian tortoise. I don't keep Russian' s so can't help on care . But I can tell you a fish tank is way to small for a tortoise enclosure . They minimum is a four by eight enclosure .

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Good for you Tito in rescuing him and seeking information for the sake of the tortoise. Lots of good info on this forum and lots of helpful people here too. So don't be shy to ask questions we have all been there.

— Gus

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Just a suggestion on the tank upgrade. You can buy a couple of very large plastic bins for a pretty cheap price, cut out opposing ends and stick them together to make one great big enclosure.

Magilla504

Welcome to the forum. Russian care is pretty easy. Figure out a bigger enclosure . Bins together like suggested or plywood and a few 2x4s will do the trick. If you are not handy or have tools usually lowes will cut it for you. A 4x8x 16 wall height should work.
So for care... Feed a mix of kale ,collards , mustard greens, turnip greens, squash, pumpkin, a little wild carrot, weeds. Just use those as a food base when you can't provide weeds. I feed once daily and sprinkle with calcium every few. Vitamin once a week. Always have a cuttlebone out.Always have a water dish . A clay water catch dish that goes with a pot will work. At walmart or hardware stores for 2 bucks. Have a humid hide . Mine is opposite side of the basking and uv lights. Adjust your basking light to reach 95 degrees. I use a flat rock for them to warm up on in that area . The rest of the e habitat should be about 70~75 degrees. Use organic peat moss or coconut coir as a substrate . I top with cypress mulch to keep the dishes clean. I'm no expert but if you need help just ask! Also look at russiantortoise.net. It's a great website for Russians.

Good luck ,
Jason

tito283

Chicago, Illinois
Its been a week now with my new little pal. At first he seemed boring or even depressed. But as the week has gone by he is becoming more active and eating well. I was a little concerned because he seemed to have no appetite. I'm glad to report that today's the first day that I seen him excited to eat! Here is a picture of crush stuffing his face.

Attachments

• 20141013_191620.jpg
    20141013_191620.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Its been a week now with my new little pal. At first he seemed boring or even depressed. But as the week has gone by he is becoming more active and eating well. I was a little concerned because he seemed to have no appetite. I'm glad to report that today's the first day that I seen him excited to eat! Here is a picture of crush stuffing his face.
:)its good he's started eating! did you upgrade his enclosure size yet?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Good on you for taking him/her on. Sounds like you're enjoying each other's company. How's the enclosure coming along?

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Yes, I have much larger temporary set up. One of my buddies is working on a tort table for me.

Awesome job! Just remember that torts don't like change and tend to stress out so try not to handle it too much at first. He's already getting use to a new enclosure, now a new person and when your table is done another new enclosure. Just don't freak out if he is active and exploring his new set up then hides for a few days.

Typically what happens is they look around and we think they are all happy with there new digs and we pat ourselves on our backs. Then freak out wanting to know what we did wrong because they stop eating for a few days. They are looking for a way out plotting and trying to get "home". They may or may not eat, then hide for a few days. Once they feel safe and realize there are no predictors they come back out (hunger is your friend here) eat like pigs and start to live in there new place.

Welcome to the addicting hobby of tortoise ownership and be sure to let is know if you have any questions. And be sure to post lots of pics with any questions. A picture is worth a million words. Do you have anything to monotremes temps and humidity?

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)