First timer setup for a Russian Tortoise.

jensem17

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hello! First I wanted to say how happy I was to find this forum. So much great information!

I should have a Russian tortoise landing this week and would like any tips or feedback on their enclousure. :)

-clamp (zip ties in 4 different places, I will get a stand next time I'm at the store) with 100w PowerSun
-substrate is mostly coco fiber (eco earth) with some cypress mulch (forest floor) and some organic soil (from the backyard I'm an avid gardener and do not use any pesticides) and mixed in
-spag moss in both of the hides
-water dish is a clay pot saucer under the violet/ begonia
-all the plants were vetted through tortoise table the ones that were listed as moderate consumption have been left in their pots, the daily ones right in the substrate. These plants were either harvested from my yard or thoroughly rinsed and repotted.
-the tote sits on the bottom level of a indoor greenhouse, the two top levels of which have a variety of tortoise safe green growing.

It's getting into fall here and our daytime highs are less than 70f/21c . I plan on building an outdoor enclosure next summer, as well as a larger indoor one as I don't know how I feel about leaving them out overnight. I hoping this tote will be good enough for this winter/next spring. :)

P_20200914_203125.jpgP_20200914_202711.jpgP_20200914_203512.jpgP_20200914_203136.jpgP_20200914_203125.jpgP_20200914_202711.jpgP_20200914_203512.jpgP_20200914_203136.jpg

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
That power sun bulb will burn your torts’ shell and will cause pyramiding. No soil, it’s messy, can have unknown pesticides in it, and is an impaction risk. Same with the moss, it’s an impaction risk as well. Read this care sheet it will explain better lighting, and correct substrate...

jensem17

Ontario, Canada
That power sun bulb will burn your torts’ shell and will cause pyramiding. No soil, it’s messy, can have unknown pesticides in it, and is an impaction risk. Same with the moss, it’s an impaction risk as well. Read this care sheet it will explain better lighting, and correct substrate...
oh, wow that's different than the two pinned care sheets!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! First I wanted to say how happy I was to find this forum. So much great information!

I should have a Russian tortoise landing this week and would like any tips or feedback on their enclousure. :)

-clamp (zip ties in 4 different places, I will get a stand next time I'm at the store) with 100w PowerSun
-substrate is mostly coco fiber (eco earth) with some cypress mulch (forest floor) and some organic soil (from the backyard I'm an avid gardener and do not use any pesticides) and mixed in
-spag moss in both of the hides
-water dish is a clay pot saucer under the violet/ begonia
-all the plants were vetted through tortoise table the ones that were listed as moderate consumption have been left in their pots, the daily ones right in the substrate. These plants were either harvested from my yard or thoroughly rinsed and repotted.
-the tote sits on the bottom level of a indoor greenhouse, the two top levels of which have a variety of tortoise safe green growing.

It's getting into fall here and our daytime highs are less than 70f/21c . I plan on building an outdoor enclosure next summer, as well as a larger indoor one as I don't know how I feel about leaving them out overnight. I hoping this tote will be good enough for this winter/next spring. :)
View attachment 306318View attachment 306319View attachment 306320View attachment 306321
Are you getting a baby or an adult?

If you made the soil yourself and know exactly what composted plants are in it, then it should be fine to use. Store bought soil is made from people's yard waste that has been composted. Could be anything in there.

I agree that the moss needs to go. All of my tortoises try to eat it.

I also agree about the powersun. Not a good bulb for tortoises.

Enclosure looks great with all the plants and damp substrate. I'd want to live in there if I were a little tortoise! :)

jensem17

Ontario, Canada
Are you getting a baby or an adult?

If you made the soil yourself and know exactly what composted plants are in it, then it should be fine to use. Store bought soil is made from people's yard waste that has been composted. Could be anything in there.

I agree that the moss needs to go. All of my tortoises try to eat it.

I also agree about the powersun. Not a good bulb for tortoises.

Enclosure looks great with all the plants and damp substrate. I'd want to live in there if I were a little tortoise! :)

It will be a baby. I was going for humidity/hides vs space to roam as from my understanding baby tortoises are like most babies in that they spend the majority of their time eating/sleeping. I was planning on a larger tote (one of those Christmas tree ones) in a few months one he/she is settled and seems to be doing well.

Moss is out.

PowerSun is out, I put in a 100w incandescent regular blub in its place. I also have a 60W if that is better, I assume 40W is too low. I'll get a UV tube light and fixture next time I am out. I'll watch the temps today.

I feel pretty confident about the soil, we've lived here 10 years and I've never used any pesticides or any spray on my plants. I do make my own compost for the yard, but it is from my kitchen scraps, yard plants (no noxious or poisons plants), and doesn't contain any animal matter. The soil is really not much of the substrate mix, just a handful or two added to help with moisture retention/humidity and around the plants.

Thank you for the feedback and tips!

jensem17

Ontario, Canada
Claw (as the kids have named him) arrived yesterday and seems to be settling in well. He hasn't ventured beyond the basking spot/food pile, he slept there last night.

Attachments

• P_20200916_155954.jpg
    P_20200916_155954.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • P_20200916_114327.jpg
    P_20200916_114327.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • P_20200916_120914.jpg
    P_20200916_120914.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13