First enclosure help

Scrounger

Well, heading to a reptile show in a couple weeks to get my first tortoise, and I have some questions about the enclosure. I'm likely getting a hatchling/juvenile Mediterranean species or redfoot tortoise, and am working on an indoor enclosure for it. I've read the care guides for the species and the babies, as well as beginner mistakes, but need a little specific advice. I have a 50 gallon plastic tote to start, and the idea is to keep it inside it while I'm at work then let it into an outdoor enclosure for about an hour a day when I can watch it. If I do this do I need a dual heat/mvb bulb or just one for heat and light? And how strong a bulb should I have for a plastic tote? Also, I've seen totes set up with both the top on and off, which would be better? And how well does using tin foil insulate the lid from the heat lamp if you use the lid to hold up the light, as I've seen? Oh, and is there a difference between a pet store black light and a regular florescent black light bulb?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
What are the temperatures like indoors where the tortoise will be living?

I suggest deciding between a Testudo and red foot first before you buy bulbs (as they have different needs, so the suggestions will be different depending on what species you want).

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Well, heading to a reptile show in a couple weeks to get my first tortoise, and I have some questions about the enclosure. I'm likely getting a hatchling/juvenile Mediterranean species or redfoot tortoise, and am working on an indoor enclosure for it. I've read the care guides for the species and the babies, as well as beginner mistakes, but need a little specific advice. I have a 50 gallon plastic tote to start, and the idea is to keep it inside it while I'm at work then let it into an outdoor enclosure for about an hour a day when I can watch it. If I do this do I need a dual heat/mvb bulb or just one for heat and light? And how strong a bulb should I have for a plastic tote? Also, I've seen totes set up with both the top on and off, which would be better? And how well does using tin foil insulate the lid from the heat lamp if you use the lid to hold up the light, as I've seen? Oh, and is there a difference between a pet store black light and a regular florescent black light bulb?[/QUOTE

The bigger the enclosure the better: torts are used to roaming around in the wild as they please, without boundaries/borders. Therefore they need a LOT of room.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!

Scrounger

Well, I would like a red-footed, but I have no idea if one will be available, but I know I can get a Russian. Its about 72F in the apartment most of the time. This is a first enclosure for a humidity needing juvenile, a bigger enclosure is planned for when it can go outside full time, and when I am no longer in an apartment.