first time w/ ornates

Carolyn Barrett

Location (City and/or State)
Waco, TX
I am getting a mated pair of ornates from a not so great situation tomorrow - they are no longer wanted. have started a habitat expecting one yesterday -today found out about the female. appreciate any info - and want to be sure this habitat is ok to start - they are both near 5 inches this is the 79 gallon pond tub from lowes. the bulb is the reptisun 5.0 uvb and it flickers in my clamp light. please advise thanks everyone so much! IMG_5823.JPG

Carolyn Barrett

Waco, TX
ps - is just started so will do pics later, just wanted advice- can i put live plants in eco earth? thanks again!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Very pretty.

Ecco earth is not nutrient rich, so your plants may not do well in it long term, but it's a great germination medium. The turtles burrow, so it disturbs plant roots.

Can you make an outdoor habitat for the summer? It makes such a difference to them!

Flickering light isn't good. The light beefs to gang straight down.

Carolyn Barrett

Waco, TX
thank you johnsonnboswell for your reply! i will have the light checked at petco maybe bought the wrong one? and yes we are making an outdoor enclosure this weekend- again this has happened fast and i wanted a safe place for them to come home too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Carolyn:

I think your pre-formed pond is too small for a pair of adult box turtles. Also, the light (coil shaped bulb) is not good for their eyes. Since you're building them an outdoor habitat, don't worry about using a UVB light. They will get enough UVB by living outside most of the time.

Carolyn Barrett

Waco, TX
Thanks for the advice. What type light should i use. Everywhere says the reptisun 5.0. How big an indoor and for the outdoor?

Carolyn Barrett

Waco, TX
Ok. Ceramic heat element versus reptisun light Which is best? Again my light flickers at times. Is not a spiral but has 4 bulb like bars on one thanks!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Ceramic heaters are probably not necessary at all, even during the winter. A night time drop is ideal, down to 60 is good. Good UVB lights produce enough heat.

Carolyn Barrett

Waco, TX
ok - new concern - the male - now known as peanut - is soooo sooo happy - friendly, wanders, suns, and digs. the female - now known as jelly - digs way under to where not even her face shows at times - the past few days she comes eagerly to eat, today just dug back under - should i be concerned? i was told she may be laying eggs soon - does this affect? thank you!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Separate them. A male/female pair is not a mated pair, it's a relentlessly opportunist male and a female that can't escape him.

Sometimes they can live together just fine. Sometimes not. Changing to a new environment often stimulates mating. Your new habitat is pretty, but too small. Her only escape is to burrow.

If there is another cause or factor influencing her behavior, separating them is still a good idea. You can allow them conjugal visits in the spring if you want eggs.

Carolyn Barrett

Waco, TX
Thank you! I have not observed any mating. Was reported by previous owner but I will separate. Eggs are not in my interest. Just want them happy and thought they would be better kept together. Is the 79 gallon tub ok for one?

Carolyn Barrett

Waco, TX
setting up a hers tub to go with his - will post pics when done. Thank you Johnsonnboswell for your advice

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
ok - new concern - the male - now known as peanut - is soooo sooo happy - friendly, wanders, suns, and digs. the female - now known as jelly - digs way under to where not even her face shows at times - the past few days she comes eagerly to eat, today just dug back under - should i be concerned? i was told she may be laying eggs soon - does this affect? thank you!

Mine dig down every day, they come up early in the morning, dig down shortly after they eat. They come back up in the evening for a few hours and then back under for the night. I keep the females separate from my male most of the time. I put them together for a few weeks during late spring and again early fall. I'm hoping one of my females laid some eggs about a month ago, she had a quick weight loss of around 30 grams.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Outdoor during the spring, Summer and early fall. Then I bring them inside for a few weeks in a big tub to stop feeding them and then off to hibernation in my garage. Nothing is like the outside and natural settings though. My Ornates and 3 toeds all are done this way. I would like to see a few pics of the Ornates.

Carolyn Barrett

Waco, TX
unfortunately for them i am learning as i go - i have had sliders and cared for my sister's black mountain tortoises - these were a rescue and i am in love! will post pics when she settles. i have pics of him. want to finish their outdoor habitat this weekend - now i will have to do 2. how many turtles do you have Abrams? sounds fabulous!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I have a few box turtle I found that the ornates like it grassy. Box turtles are small but require space. They love to roam and explore. Keep enclosures interesting with logs plants. A pair make female can do fine if you have a big enough and the right set up also box turtle love water. So big water dishes are recommended

Kyle