first time tortoise owner, a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmontalvo84

5 Year Member
So I got a Greek tortoise for my bday on Saturday, and I just had a question about a couple things. First off I was wondering, what their poop looks like because I'm not sure what I should be looking for as far as cleaning it up. I know she is Pooping because when I let her out she pooped once on the towel she was on, but as far as me finding poop in her home, I have not been successful. Second I noticed a couple dark spots on her underside, is this normal? Cause I have been reading a lot of things on diseases, and she has no symptoms, and now I'm paranoid! Thanks in advance for you help :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi cmontalvo84:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Their poop should look dark brown and fairly solid. You might be able to see strands of grass in it. Sometimes they eat it before you can find it.

The dark spots just might be the design of her plastron. Some Greeks have colored spots on their shells.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi and welcome! :)

emysemys has descibed the poop. You should also be getting clear urine. Occasionally this may contain white jelly stuff that looks a bit like partly cooked egg white. This is OK occasionally, but you need to make sure your tortoise is properly hydrated to reduce the frequency.

Bathe your tortoise daily. Stand him/her in a dish of tepid water for a good 20 minutes. The water needs to be deep enough to just come up over the plastron (bottom shell), but not so deep your tort can't get his/her mouth clear of the water.

What are you feeding? And what is your tort's living enclosure like?

You can post pics to show us :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

WalkingRocks poop looks like bales of hay, but then again, he is 73 lbs and puts large dog poop to shame on shere volume and size! not too hard to find in the yard, even easier when barefooted!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
not too hard to find in the yard, even easier when barefooted!

Like playing kick ball with a tootsie roll....LOL and ewwwww

Welcome to the Forum :D We LOVE PICS :p

Status
Not open for further replies.