Is this normal for leopard tortoise

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palmbay FL
I have a 3 year old leopard tortoise. I had her shipped and received her last Thursday. When I unwrapped her she seemed to be alert fine she had done a big poop so I gave her a wash with water, than she soak for about 20 minutes. Thursday evening she started throwing. I called her vet and they have said as long as she didn't do it again just to watch her. Late that night she did it again so I got up Friday morning call my vet and they couldn't see her but , I did take her to another vet that specializes in Exotics. He said she's looking good and couldn't see anything wrong but her concerned and I should bring a poop sample back. She's not eating a lot she hasn't pooped she has been soaked she likes being outdoors and she doesn't like her tortie table at night. She did eat a little bit on Friday night and Saturday Sunday morning a little but she hasn't eaten Sunday night or now it's Monday morning. I was thinking in the vet agreed that it was probably from the traumatic shipping could use a few states away but I was assuming she was going to start eating better today.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
I have a 3 year old leopard tortoise. I had her shipped and received her last Thursday. When I unwrapped her she seemed to be alert fine she had done a big poop so I gave her a wash with water, than she soak for about 20 minutes. Thursday evening she started throwing. I called her vet and they have said as long as she didn't do it again just to watch her. Late that night she did it again so I got up Friday morning call my vet and they couldn't see her but , I did take her to another vet that specializes in Exotics. He said she's looking good and couldn't see anything wrong but her concerned and I should bring a poop sample back. She's not eating a lot she hasn't pooped she has been soaked she likes being outdoors and she doesn't like her tortie table at night. She did eat a little bit on Friday night and Saturday Sunday morning a little but she hasn't eaten Sunday night or now it's Monday morning. I was thinking in the vet agreed that it was probably from the traumatic shipping could use a few states away but I was assuming she was going to start eating better today.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size is the tortoise?

What size is the table?

What substrate in the table?

What are the four temperatures in the table? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

Are you using a UV bulb indoors? What type?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

What size is the table?

What are the four temperatures in the table? Warm side, cool side, basking area, and overnight low?

Reactions: Ink

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL

What size is the table?

She is 11 in she has a strip you UVB bulb that I got it Amazon. She has an no Mercury UVa I think. . I got that at PetSmart or a basking area. The temperatures AR 90 + 80 + cool area the humidity is like 80 85%. Her tables 4 by 8 with soil cypress mulch.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL

What size is the table?

And she goes out as much as possible. So she's today she went out for 3 hours while I was home now I'm working so I don't want to out. When she's out she's walking around she looks alert she looks good and after just a little bit she smells the grass and stuff and then she goes and finds a Heidi

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
And she goes out as much as possible. So she's today she went out for 3 hours while I was home now I'm working so I don't want to out. When she's out she's walking around she looks alert she looks good and after just a little bit she smells the grass and stuff and then she goes and finds a Heidi

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
I found her online and got her. She had no name, and they didn't tell me any thing. I get the feeling they want to. Bothered

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
See if you can interest her in eating some Mazuri Tortoise Diet. That will help bulk her up. You can buy small quantities from members here on the Forum. Do a Search.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
I do have some. I water it down and she did eat some of it... Should I have it available at all times.

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
To day I gave her romaine lettuce some cactus and I even cut little tiny pieces of Apple not much ..fruits not good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She is 11 in she has a strip you UVB bulb that I got it Amazon. She has an no Mercury UVa I think. . I got that at PetSmart or a basking area. The temperatures AR 90 + 80 + cool area the humidity is like 80 85%. Her tables 4 by 8 with soil cypress mulch.
I don't know if you are doing talk to text or what, but I can barely make out what you are saying. I don't want to miss or misunderstand your info.

What type of strip bulb and how close is it mounted?

You also have a mercury vapor bulb for basking?

Where is the temperature 90 and where is it 80? What is the temp of the cool area, and what is the over night low?

How is humidity 80-85% in an open topped tortoise table?

Are you using soil, or cypress mulch? Or both?

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
Sorry text to talk and I am getting excited. Cypress Mulch & Soil mix, on an open table. 90 on one half, 80 on the other half. The Mercury bulb is next to the Heidi and is a 95. The strip is in the middle 15 high. So the Mercury bulb in the Heidi in her food is to the left of the strip. At night. The hot area is in the 80. She has a 75 watt heater bulb. Hope this is better. Thank you

Kim's petunia

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palmbay FL
Sorry text to talk and I am getting excited. Cypress Mulch & Soil mix, on an open table. 90 on one half, 80 on the other half. The Mercury bulb is next to the Heidi and is a 95. The strip is in the middle 15 high. So the Mercury bulb in the Heidi in her food is to the left of the strip. At night. The hot area is in the 80. She has a 75 watt heater bulb. Hope this is better. Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Much better. Thank you. :)

This all sounds pretty good. I'm trying to sleuth out what would make the tortoise not like her indoor enclosure. The last thing I see would be, which type of florescent tube you are using. Is it a regular 10.0 T8 model, or one of the newer HO T5 type bulbs?

Can we see a few pictures of the enclosure? Maybe we will see something there that will help ID the problem.